"My installations and sculptures explore drawing in a wider sense. Mostly using thread they expand the two-dimensional into the third dimension. Similar to not yet woven warp threads these spatial drawings hover somewhere between matter and thought. This pending dynamic state is shaped by light as an integral part of my work.
My work may be site-specific, time-based or text-based. Some pieces relate to the history of a place while others involve local communities. The scale ranges from objects such as book-works (written in threads) to large scale installations."
"There's a visible world and an invisible one. I try to touch their interface."
Born in Basel, Switzerland, Sabine studied at the 'Schule für Gestaltung' before working for the costume and stage props workshops of the 'Basler Stadttheater' (Theatre Basel). The experience from work on building sites, in a fine mechanics workshop, and as a nurse aid in hospital all have influenced her formal practice as an artist. In 2001 she moved from Basel to Hull, England, where she now works and lives.
CV & Education
AWARDS / RESIDENCIES
- 2009 Grant of Arts Council England, Yorkshire, and ...
- 2009 Grant of Humber Mouth festival towards Fr-Agile
- 2008 Nominated for the Northern Art Prize 2008 (longlist)
- 2008 Grant of Arts Council England, Yorkshire Wildlife Trust and East Riding of Yorkshire for On Spurn, a research residency for six artists (see also: OnSpurn BLOG)
- 2004 Grant of the Arts Council England towards Stringed / Crescent Arts / Scarborough / UK
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS
- 2014 Ich sehe was... / Studio event in Berlin, Wedding / DE
- 2014 Process / Cupola Gallery / Sheffield / UK
- 2013 Wedding - Kunst Pur / Galerie Wedding / Berlin / DE
- 2013 Monomania / Cupola Gallery / Sheffield / UK
- 2011 Artificial Light / Cupola Gallery / Sheffield / UK
- 2008 From Book to Book / Leeds Art Gallery / Leeds / UK
- 2007 Special Collections / University Gallery Leeds / Leeds / UK
- 2007 Fundamentals / an exhibition of invited artists / Cupola Gallery / Sheffield / UK
- 2006 Cupola 15th anniversary / Cupola Gallery / Sheffield / UK
- 2005 Co-ordinates / Saltsmill / Saltaire / UK
- 2005 Sculptural Possibilities / Cupola Gallery / Sheffield / UK
- 2004 New Visions: The search for identity / Doncaster Museum&Art Gallery / Doncaster / UK
- 2004 Sculpture / Crescent Arts / Scarborough / UK
- 2003 [54º N] Festival of Contemporary Art (Muscle / Unfolding) / The Warehouse / Hull / UK
- 1999 Textile Kulturwochen Freiburg (Permeable Wall) / Herderbau / Freiburg / DE
- 1998 Jardins suspendus / Musée du Textile et des Costumes / Wesserling / F
- 2007 Wordscape / The Hepworth / Wakefield / UK (see Events)
- 2007 Textbook (1st ed) / Special Collections at Brotherton Library / University of Leeds / Leeds / UK
- 2007 Textbook (2nd ed) / Manchester Metropolitan University's Special Collection / Manchester / UK
- 2007 - 2014 various private collections in the UK, Germany and Sweden