I am fascinated by the Earth's surface, this huge “canvas”, where climate, human and animal activity produce mark-making on a massive scale. Like landscape and surface textures reveal their own history, I believe that the many manifestations of life (feelings, memories, knowledge expressed in formulae, relationships) can be visualised by textures and structures, meshes or networks, interconnected with each other, multi-layered, forever changing and arranged in the three dimensions.
Artwork represents fragments of this “ bigger picture”, “fished out” as a response to an observation, an enquiry or a problem.
My pictures are often multi-layered, combining fragments of painting and drawing, both physically separated and only brought together in the frame and by the viewer's eye.
The fragmentary nature of visual elements is essential as it relates to the complexity of life and the human experience of trying “to make sense” whilst operating with many unknowns and insecurities.
I get inspired by the correlations between Music and Visual Arts and how rhythm is a common feature to express change. Some of my work uses rhythms of colour (chords?) combined with line-work (melody?).
I trained as fashion designer, surrounding the human body with a layer of garment. However, I now find that Architecture, with its more durable constructions, is a better focus to observe the interaction of individual and environment.
Architecture features a lot in my artwork. I arrange image ideas within a picture, in order "to house" a feeling, to “screen it” or to "place” the story in an environment". I think this is an interesting, poetic way of constructing a visual narrative that I want to explore further.
For future work, I want to change and refine my creative practise by working with other artists and musicians on projects that are responses to situations or problems and make the results available to a wider audience.
CV & Education
Qualifications and training
- 2002 Post-Graduate Certificate in Education (FE), Sunderland University
- 1991 - 1992 Post-graduate scholarship with German National Scholarship Foundation to study Illustration, Drawing, Photography, Pratt Institute and F.I.T., New York (post-gradutate scholarship with German National Scholarship Foundation)
- 1987 - 1991 Dip. Fashion Designer (degree), Hochschule Pforzheim, Germany
- additional courses: Health & Safety, Certificate in Learning Support (Numeracy), M121 "Using Mathematics" (Open University) and "S199 Modelling the Climate"
Teaching in Further Education
- 2003 - 2007 Liverpool Community College: Skills for Life (Numeracy), BTEC National Diploma Fashion & Clothing: Fashion Illustration & Drawing, NOCN Award Art & Design, Art & Design for Beginners (part-time tutor)
- 2001 - 2003 Tameside College: NVQ Art & Design: drawing development, AS/A2 Painting & Drawing. (part-time)
- March 2000 - Oct. 2000 Wakefield Prison: Art sessions for inmates
- 1992 - 1998 Balthasar-Neumann Schule II, Bruchsal, Germany: Fashion Drawing & Illustation (part- time), contribution to curriculum development for syllabus for new fashion & design level 3 pathway.
- 1993 - 1995 Fachhochschule Pforzheim (Academy for Art & Design): Assistant to the Fashion Department
- Illustration for books and other print media
- Illustrations as visual aids for teaching and learning in Primary Education, for "Medienwerkstatt", Mühlacker, Germany.
- Fashion design for sportswear and knitwear
- Costume design for dance
- 2013 Sefton Lodge, Liverpool
- 2013 Inka Café Bar, Macclesfield
- 2012 Gallery at Bank Quay House, Warrington
- 212 "Fragmented views", MerseyBio, Liverpool
- 2012 "Transfigured Spaces", Barnaby Festival, Macclesfield
- 2012 & 2013 Cheshire Open Studios, at own studio
- 2011 "Canvas, thread & steel", Bollington Arts Centre, Bollington
- 1997 Himmlisch, Rastatt, Germany
- 1997 Die Schule, Pforzheim
Group exhbitions (selection)
- 2013 "Three Counties Open", Keele University, Keele
- 2013 "Warrington Open Contemporary", Warrington
- 2013 "Skarts, Stockport Open, Stockport"
- 2013 "Echoes - evolution innit", with Erika Groeneveld and Tony Berriman, Barnaby Festival, Macclesfield
- 2013 "Grosvernor Museum Open 2013", Chester, winner of 3rd prize.
- 2012 "Hospitality Re-viewed", Baltic Centre, Liverpool
- 2012 "Fabric of the Land", Geology & Petroleum Geology School of Geosciences, Aberdeen
- 2012 "Other Dimensions", Gallery Bebb & Sekers, Alderley Edge
- 2012 "Abstracted", Marburae Art Gallery, Macclesfield
- 2012 "Waterside Arts Centre Open Exhibition", Sale
- 2011 British Aviation Authority, Heathrow Airport, Terminal 5
- 2011 Warrington Contemporary Open", winner for subject "seasons"
- 2010 "Architecture Open House & Exhibition", with Barbara Olbrich, architect, Bensheim, Germany
- 1997 "42 artists", Rathaus, Pforzheim, Germany
- 2013 3rd prize - Grosvernor Museum Open Exhibition 2013, Chester
- 2013 Highly commended, "Cheshire Open Studios" at Marburae Art Gallery, Macclesfield
- 2011 prize for category "seasons", Warrington Contemporary Arts Festival