Rosie Leventon makes Sculptural installations, Interventions , Public Art Commissions , Environmental Artwork and drawings some of which are permanent and some ephemeral. Green issues run through the work. Many of the pieces are architectural and relate to or use their surroundings in some way, often containing paradoxes and surprises. Archaeology has often been the starting point for work. Recently she made new small versons of the series Up the Duff casting them in bronze and aluminium. She has just completed a Residency in Spain - Enclave Vistabella Landart Residencies . This year 2017, she has 5 shows confirmed in London, in the Ground Floor atrium of Exchange House, 12 Primrose St London EC2A 2HS, The Sheltering Five, Feb 21 - April 18. Open 24 / 7 + April 20 - May 29 Traces of traces. And in Italy Galleria L'Affiche Via del Unione 6. Milan. May 4 - June1. in Cortona at La Fortezza del Girifalco, June 10 - . Then in Rome at Scuderie Aldobrandini, Frascati, (dates tbc.)
She has made false floors and corridors that float on water underfoot. Some work involves looking through and behind the surfaces of modern day living to find something lost hidden or forgotten beneath . Work is often interactive, people can explore it by going inside or use it as a performance area, for contemplation or as seating.
Recently she has completed a permanent Environmental artwork for the Woodland Trust 2012 - 2015, for their flagship Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Woods In Leics. In 2015 she showed 5 sculptures called Up the Duff in a 2 person show at Angus Hughes Gallery London and in Venice at the Arte Laguna Prize .
She sold 5 drawings to the Henry Moore Institute in Leeds and won the Rouse Kent Award for Public Art for two commissions for a forest in Kent, and before that the Mark Tanner Award for Sculpture. Much of the work embodies green principles and environmental awareness. Materials are recycled, labour is locally sourced, and several pieces provide water for animals and birds. Some also encourage biodiversity and regeneration.
She undertakes site-related commissions for museums, galleries, businesses, atria, parks, forests, gardens, factories and barns. She works internationally including the Czech Republic, Italy, Poland, Russia, Denmark, Germany, USA, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and France. She took part in TINA B Festival of Contemporary Art , Zizkov, Prague, Czech Republic ( Nov 2011 - Jan 2012), and a piece can be seen at the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich London, (Room 4B ground floor, the Queens House. Check for occasional closures at: www.rmg.co.uk - (Latest visitor Info.). Also 2 pieces at King's Wood, Challock Forest in Kent, and at Clifton Country Park near Manchester as part of the Irwell Sculpture Trail.
Books: The State of Art Installation & Site Specific #2 bare hill publishing. ( ISBN 978-1-909825-15-4). " Thinking is making, Presence & Absence in Contemporary Sculpture ", Published by Black Dog . Matilda Strang, Martin Herbert, Fiona MacDonald. ( ISBN 978 1 908966 04 9) Available from : www.standpointgallery.co.uk . FABRICA - The First ten years, (ISBNO 9543380-2-2) Mathew Miller & Liz Whitehead. King's Wood: A Context Eds. Sandra Drew and Liz Kent. Stour Valley Arts. (ISBN 0-9535 3409 x). Meditative Spaces by Michael Freeman. Universe Publishing. Rizzoli International. NY . Installation Art by Nicolas de Oliveira, Nicola Oxley and Michael Petry. Thames & Hudson. (ISBN 0-500 -23672-0) Sculpture Parks & Trails of England by Alison Stace. A & C Black.( ISBN 978-0-7136-7952-6)
CV & Education
2014 - A commissioned site-referential earthwork with planting, The Woodland Trust, Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Woods, Normanton le Heath Leics.
Qualifications and training
1981 - Post-Graduate, St Martins, London
1979 - BA Hons, Croydon College of Art, Croydon
1975 - Chinese Language and Archaeology, London University
2015 - 2 Person show. Up the Duff London. Angus Hughes Gallery Hackney London.
2007 - Drawings, eyestorm, 11 Sumner St. (Opp. Tate Modern) Bankside, London
2007 - The Front Room, Salt gallery, Nr St Ives, Cornwall
2004 - Fabrica, Brighton
2002 - Standpoint Gallery, London - Gardner Arts centre. Brighton.
2002 - Waterstone's Bookshop, Piccadilly, London
2001 - Atrium Gallery, Price Waterhouse Coopers, London
2001 - Gardner Arts Centre, Brighton
1999 - Blackthorpe Barn, Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk
1997 - A Long Way From The Bathroom, Lokaal 01, Breda. Holland
1997 - Dean Clough Contemporary Art Galleries, Halifax
1996 - A Long Way From The Bathroom , Bonington Gallery, Noittingham
1996 - A Long Way From The Bathroom , Cafe Gallery, London
1994 - New Installations, Passerelle, Brest, France
1993 - Clove 1 Gallery, Butlers Wharf, London
1993 - London Ecology Centre, Covent Garden
1991 - Kunsthallen Brandts Klaedefabrik, Denmark
1990 - Myles Meehan Gallery, Darlington Art Centre
1989 - Woodlands Gallery, Greenwich
1988 - Chisenhale Gallery, London
1988 - Mappin Art Gallery, Sheffield
1988 - Wolverhampton Art Gallery
1987 - Serpentine Gallery, London
Selected Group exhibitions
- 2015 Up the Duff London. 2 person show with Leandro Lottici. Angus Hughes Gallery. Hackney London. June 6 - 28 Fri - Sun 12 -6 or by Apointment:
The Arte Laguna Sculpture Prize. March 21 - April 5. Arsenale, Venice.
Self Memories - the Contemporary Sense of Awareness. Ca' Zanardi, Venice. 5.8 - 15.8
Guest Artist : TIAF London. 2015 The Rag Factory 16 - 18 Heneage St.
London E1. ( Off Brick Lane.) 14 .10 - 18 .10
Speculations: Making Thinking Drawing. Hatton Gallery Univ. of Newcastle .26.6 - 8 8
- 2014 TIAF London. The Independant Artists Fair, The Rag Factory. London.
The Argentine Biennale, Buenos Aires.
- 2013 - The Mark Tanner Sculpture Award 2013. Sculpture show by the ten Winners and Book launch, Standpoint Gallery, 45 Coronet St. London. Reforest. Stour Valley Arts, Ashford 2013 - The London Group. The Cello Factory, Waterloo.London.
- 2012 - INSIDE. Blankspace Blank Media Collective, Manchester.
- 2011 - Prague festival of Contemporary Art, Galerie Vernon, and Vernon Project Space, Central Prague. Czech Republic.- Cork Street Open, In aid of Papyrus - prevention of young suicide, Cork Street. London
- 2011 - NEXT New developments in Contemporary art, BECA Foundation. , 312 Rosemont Avenue. Albuquerque, NM USA2010
- 2011 - Pride in the House. One of 3 Winners., Lauderdale House., Highgate, London
- 2010 - Curiouser & Curiouser. Old Vic Tunnels. Waterloo London. Punctuation Marks. Henry Moore Institute Leeds.
- 2009 Concrete & Glass. Shoreditch Town Hall. London. Prospects & Interiors, Recent Acquisitions of Sculptors Drawings. Henry Moore Institute. Leeds. UNFOLD, NETTIE HORN GALLERY, 25b Vyner st. Bethnal Green. London. Workshop of Hereafter., Blyth Gallery, Imperial College, , South Kensington, London.
- 2008 CONSIDERED MATTER, Mid Pennine Gallery,, Yorke St, Burnley,2008 - ET PENDANT CE TEMPS, Nettie Horn gallery, 25b Vyner St. Bethnal green. london .PARALLAX, Fieldgate Gallery., 14 Fieldgate Street, Whitechapel. London. 'Prospects & Interiors', RECENT ACQUISITIONS OF SCULPTORS DRAWINGS, Henry Moore Institute ,74 The headrow, Leeds
- 2007 - The London Group, Menier Chocolate Factory, 51 Southwark St. London.
- 2006 - Landscape and memory, The Ropewalk, Barton on Humber
- 2004 - Haunt, Sherborne House, Dorset
- 2003 - Convergence International Arts Festival, USA. MODA Outsize, Museum of Domestic Design & Architecture, Barnet. Open Sculpture, RWA, Bristol
- 2001 - Sculpture Exhibition, Millfield, Somerset. Royal Society of British Sculptors show. London Jerwood Drawing Exhibition touring to Switzerland.
- 2000 - Royal Society of British Sculptors Summer Exhibition, London
- 1999 - Notes form Underground, Dostoyevsky Museum, St. Petersburg, Russia
- 1999 - Women in Visual Arts, Erector Square Gallery, Connecticut, USA
- 1998 - New Visions of the Sea, National Maritime Museum, Greenwich
- 1997 - Artist in Residence, Irwell Sculpture Trail, Manchester You Are Here, Re-siting Installations, Royal College of Art, London
- 1996 - Mirades, (Sobre el Museu), MACBA Museo d'Arte Contemporaneo, Barcelona.
- 1994 - Ikon Gallery, Touring Programme, Midlands1992 - East And South, Norwich Gallery
- 1992 - Frankfurt Art Fair
- 1991 - Leeds Polytechnic Gallery
- 1990 - Ubergange - 4 Sculptors from Britain., Der Pfalzgaleries, Kaisers Lautern., Germany
2011 - Tina B International Festival of Contemporary Art., Prague. Czech Republic., Galerie Vernon. Janovskeho 23. 1700 PRAHA
2010 - Curiouser & Curiouser., Old Vic Tunnels, ( www.submit2gravity.com), Beneath Waterloo station, London
2008 - CONCRETE AND GLASS, Shoreditch Town Hall., 380 Old St. London EC1V 9LT
2014 -15 now & then , A new Earthwork . Arts Council Funded. The Woodland Trust, QEDJ Woods. Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Woods, Normanton le Heath in Leicestershire.
2004 - Two sculptures for a forest, Rouse Kent Award for Public Art. Stour Valley Arts, Kingswood, Challock Forest, Kent UK
2000 - Absentee, National Maritime Museum., The Queens House, Greenwich .London
1998 - DIG, Irwell Sculpture Trail, Clifton Country Park, Salford, Nr Manchester.
2003 - Convergence International Arts festival, local Business, Providence, USA
Competitions, prizes and awards
2015 Arts Council Award. - now & then. Queen Elizabeth Diamod Jubilee Woods, The Woodland Trust.
2011, 12, 13 - Award winner ( Installation):EWA Awards ( East/West Artists Awards.) , ROA Gallery, Pall Mall, London
2003 - Award Winner., EWACC, Online
2002 - Mark Tanner Award for Sculpture, Standpoint Gallery, Hoxton, London
2001 - Travelling Award, British Council, USA
1997 - Award, Henry Moore Sculpture Trust, Royal College of Art.
1992 - London Docklands Development Corporation, Clove One Gallery, Butler's Wharf, London
1985 - Major Award., Portland Clifftop Sculpture park., Isle of Portland, Dorset.
Educational experience - tertiary
1995 - Teaching Experience, Nottingham University, Birmingham Polytechnic, Serpentine Gallery Summer School, School, Byam Shaw School of Art, Maidstone School of Art, Stourbridge College
2016 INSIDE ARTISTS Issue 6 Autumn. Interview and photos pp 72 - 75 View online at https: // issuu.com / inside artists /docs / inside_artists_-_ issue_ 6/1
INSIDEART .eu 1 page+ photo 23 -03 / 2016
2015 The State of Art. Installation & Site Specific. # 2. Bare Hill Publishing. Sept.
2013 - Thinking is Making, Presence and Absence in Contemporary Sculpture.Published by Black Dog. ISBN: 978 1 908966 04 9. ( www.standpointgallery.co.uk)
2008 - FRIEZE Magazine. Issue 118
2008 - Sculpture Parks and Trails of England
2007 - FABRICA - The first ten years ISBNO-9543380-2-2
2005 - King's Wood: A CONTEXT Stour Valley Arts ISBN 0 9535 3409 x By Liz Kent & Sandra
2005 - Meditative Spaces. By Michael Freeman. Universe Publishing Rizzoli int. Pcns. Inc
1994 - Installation Art by Nicolas de Oliveira, Nicky Oxley and Michael Petry, published by T
Thames & Hudson
2009 - London Art Fair., Business design centre. Islington., London
2009 - Stour Valley Arts, ITV Meridian TV News, Jan 12 Stour Valley Arts.
2007 - 5 drawings bought by the, Henry Moore Institute , Leeds.
- Reviews : Inside Art Magazine feature. Blueprint, Sculpture Magazine USA, Dazed & Confused, The Sunday Times, The Guardian, The Financial Times, The Times, The Independant, Art Forum International. Frieze Magazine, Art Monthly, Artswork, Hot Tickets, Artscribe, Evening Standard, Arts Review, The Architectural Digest Italy, Make, Performance Magazine, The Spectator, Time Out, Blueprint Magazine, File, 20/20 magazine.