My journey working with 3d digital technologies in jewellery is rooted in my studies for an MA at the University of the Arts London. I was awarded the prestigious Tillman Scholarship (MA Digital Fashion) to explore the use of 3d and digital manufacturing technologies applied to fashion. This allowed me the freedoms to explore the use of 3d modelling, 3d printing and 3d scanning and ultimately create my first collection of art jewellery.
My work has been featured in a number of high-end fashion magazines and exhibited across the world, including at the 2013 China Creative Design Exhibition and the Inhorgenta (Munich). It has also been featured in LOVE magazine SS15, where a 3d ceramic mouthpiece was modelled by Kendall Jenner. My Mother in Chains wearable sculpture was the lead feature in all advertising for the 2013 3d print shows in London and Paris.
I have worked as a Senior Lecturer teaching MSc Applied Technologies and BA Fashion Accessories Design and Prototyping at Ravensbourne. I taught undergraduate and postgraduate students in the application of digital technologies to art and design. This included planning exhibitions and workshops, providing collaborative learning opportunities for students from across faculties to learn about the application 3d printing, 3d scanning and digital technologies in fashion and jewellery.
However, my focus has always been on the production and creation of compelling fashion art pieces. Much of work has been collaborative. This has included working closely with the artist Manuela Ribadeneira designing and developing large 3d printed sculptures for a series of exhibitions based in London and Brazil and South Korean fashion designer, Rick Lee, on a series of decorative mouthpieces for his Ceramic Road collection, exhibited this year in Korea at the National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art.
CV & Education
Skills and Awards:
- Leading 3D designer and artist. My work has been exhibited to acclaim in galleries globally, including at Joyeria 1014 (Barcelona and Madrid), the Beijing International Art jewellery Biennale and Inhorgenta (Munich).
- Three years’ experience of teaching fashion and design at BA and MA level.
- Winner of the Preziosa Young 2013 designer prize, awarded by the Italian Academy of Jewellery.
- Winner of the 2011 Tillman Scholarship awarded by the Head of the British Fashion Council.
- Catwalk and Static Exhibition in Collaboration with Rick Lee, National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art (Korea): January 2016
- Selected Designer for Origins, Passions and Beliefs (Vicenza): June 2015
- Joyeria Contemporary 2014 jewellery exhibitions (Barcelona and Madrid): October 2014
- Exhibited designer with installation at Designers Block London: September 2014
- Exhibited as featured designer at the 3D Print Show Live (London): June 2014
- Featured designer on the main fashion catwalk at the 3D Print Show Live (London and Paris): November 2013
- Exhibited as featured designer at 2013 China Creative Design Exhibition (Shanghai): October 2013
- The Fifth Element at the South Bank Centre (London): Panel member and featured designer run as part of the London Design Festival: September 2013
- Featured designer and installation at Designers Block 2013 (London): September 2013
- Beijing International Art jewellery Biennale (Beijing): Exhibited a collection of rings: September 2013
- Preziosa Contemporaries (Florence): Exhibited my 3D printed jewellery with a selection of the world’s leading jewellery designers: July 2013
- Inhorgenta (Munich): Exhibited at Germany’s leading jewellery show - February 2013
Features and Publications:
- LOVE magazine S/S 2015 modelled by Kendall Jenner.
- Swarovski Gemvisons Trend Directions 2016.
- Contemporary Jewellery Yearbook 2014/2015
- Elle China – 6-page spread and interview: Jan 2014.
- WGSN Trend Report AW2013
Designer – Rob Elford Designs
February 2012 – Present
I run my own 3D printed accessory and art business. My work has been featured on the BBC and has been exhibited worldwide. It is also frequently featured in fashion magazines and technology blogs including Elle, Another magazine, W, Love, Wired and WGSN. I have designed 3D printed models for Bugatti and Burberry. In addition, I have designed 3D printed art pieces for corporate and private clients including Aston Martin and the fashion designer Rick Lee.
Senior Associate Lecturer: Fashion Accessory Design – Ravensbourne College
March 2014 – Ju 2015
I am the senior lecturer in Fashion Accessory Design at Ravensbourne, teaching university students to apply digital design practices to accessory and artefact design and specialising in the application of 3D print technology. My work has included building up the reputation of the course and forging sustainable links with the industry and leading designers.
Lecturer: MSc Applied Technology – Ravensbourne College
December 2012 – March 2014
Lead lecturer on postgraduate applied technology course, specialising in 3D printing and digital technologies in art and design. This has included both theoretical and practical learning.
Designer - United Labels
November 2008 – September 2010
Lead digital content, and clothing designer for United Labels UK creating garments for high profile clients including Harrods, Next and Matalan. I also reworked the company marketing using digital graphics and creating a multi-media E-brochure.
London College of Fashion (Harold Tillman Scholar)
MA Digital Fashion
0ct 10 –Feb12
I was awarded the prestigious Harold Tillman scholarship to study for a Masters at the University of the Arts (London College of Fashion). I specialised in 3D printed jewellery and fashion design and also created three high-tech animated fashion films. My final project was described by Laissez Faire magazine as “quite exquisitely beautiful”.
London College of Fashion
1st Class BA (Hons) Menswear (specialising in computer aided design)
0ct 06 – Jun 08
I specialised in fashion and graphic design, in particular, the design and creation of innovative clothing, prints and interactive content for both personal and team industry-sanctioned projects for Puma and The South Bank Centre.