The sculptures I create are informed and inspired by the environment and my experience of living and working in it. The decision to make much of my work in an outdoor environment was deliberate and conceptually vital to creative process. This concept is aesthetically reworked in the smaller works that I have started to make. This new work has meant a change in scale and a development of my personal artistic practice which I felt impelled to explore. Both areas of my work inform the other which brings energy to the creative process.
The design and the making process are important to me as an artist and the physicality of actually making the work can heavily influence design. My inspiration and the themes that repeat in my designs tend to come from natural forms or the juxtaposition of the geometric with organic forms. The made object as art is the end product of my personal creative process. Whether they function is important only in the intention of designing functionality into the aesthetic.
The public sculptures I make are always designed with the site in mind, forms and themes from the studio work may be reflected in the design, but the form and shape; materials and finish are all worked on as part of that specific project. This will result in an artwork that is entirely unique. I try not to come to a commission with any preconceived designs but concentrate on developing the unique ideas that come from visiting the site and meeting and working with the people involved in the project. This produces artwork that is truly site specific, reflecting the place it is designed for.
It has been an important part of my work to develop a detailed knowledge of different materials and their uses and practical applications. I have some works fabricated, but I prefer to have a direct hand in physically making all my work, working with the fabricators to create the work. My experience lies in the working of materials and the rendering of unique sculptural solutions where the making process becomes part of the artwork. With the right choice of materials the design of the artwork will take the issues surrounding longevity and vandalism and make them part of the aesthetic.
I have been working as a professional artist and sculptor for 17 years. My experience has been mainly of creating sculptures in the public realm. I have worked on projects working closely with the community as an artist designing and making sculptures with a wide range of groups, ages and abilities. The work has been created through commission, as artist in residence working independently and with architects and landscape architects and through work with the community and in schools.
Richard Janes 2012
Classical architecture, totemic imagery, nature, history.
1993 BA (Hons), Fine Art, Sunderland University College of Art
1994-present Sculptor working on a wide range of public art projects
1995-present artist working with school and community groups to produce works on a variation of themes.
2001/03 Lecturer in Art and Design, part time, Nottingham Trent University
2001/04 Lead Artist, Project Manager Environmental Arts Programme for arts and regeneration organisation working in Derbyshire.
CV & Education
- 2014 - Contemporary Sculpture. Ferrers Arts Centre , Staunton Harold Leicesteshire
- 2013 - Sculpture in the Sanctuary, Hill Farm Swan Sanctuary, Southwell , Nottinghamshire. 2007 - Major Hayman Rooke Oak and Other great Trees, Sherwood Forest National Nature Resrerve, Nottinghamshire
- 2004 - Art and the Garden, Tate Britain, Tate Britain
- 1995 - Glastonbury Festival of Performing Arts, Greenfield
- 2007 - Instrument, Bracken Hill School, Bracken Hill School , Kirkby in Ashfield,Notts
- 2004 - Artist in Residence , Sherwood Forest National Nature Resrerve, Nottinghamshire
- 2001 - Black Park Residency, Black Park, South Buckinghamshire
- 2014 - Kevs Tree - Memorial Scupture . Nottinghamshire
- 2014 - Quadrangle. Sensory Sculptures and Features in quad . Bennerley Fields Specialist Language School. Derbyshire.
- 2013 - Tales of Books- Story Telling Space & Seating. Bridgford Park . West Bridgford.
- 2013 - Water Sculpture- Southwark Primary School.
- 2013 - Jubilee Arch, Brinsley, Nottinghamshire
- 2012 - 3DGeese, Foxdenton Hall Park , Oldham
- 2012 - Seaworks, Manor Farm Country Park, Southampton
- 2011 - Silent Fanfare, Silent Valley Mountain Park, Mourne Mountains, Northern Ireland
- 2011 - Greenfield, Nottingham Nursery School, Radford Nottingham
- 2010 - Ezekiel Gates, St Marys Church Newstead Nottingham, Nottinghamshire 2009 - Brickbirds and the Barge, Grange Road , Wollaton
- 2009 - Canalworks, Gateway Park , Hanbury, Droitwich, Worcestershire
- 2009 - Gatekeeper Gates, Sandy Banks Nature Reserve, Nottinghamshire
- 2009 - Stringed Form, Trinity RC Upper School, Nottinghamshire 2009 - Sundial, Oak Tree Estate, Mansfield Nottinghamshire
- 2008 - Horatias Ribs, Horatia House, Horatia House, Portsmouth.
- 2007 - Oak Tree Gateway, Oak Tree Heath, Oak Tree Estate, Mansfield Notts
- 2006 - St Marys Newstead Panels, St Marys Church Newstead Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
- 2005 - Hardwick Sculpture Trail, Hardwick Hall, Derbyshire
- 2008 - Juliette Balconies, Paget Street, Paget Street Loughborough
- 2004 - Water Podium, British Waterways, Newark
Educational experience - early years
- 2004 - Creative Partnerships Residence , Arboretum Nursery School, Nottinghamshire
Educational experience - primary
- 2012 - Workshops for Seaworks, Freegrounds School, Hedge End , Southampton
- 2010 - Creative Partnerships Residence developing creative practice Yr 6, Seeley Primary School, Nottinghamshire
- 2009 - Artist in Residence , Holywell Primary School, Kimberley Nottinghamshire
- 2009 - Sculpture works, Ambergate School, Ambergate, Derbyshire
- 2009 - Workshops for Gatekeeper Gates, SouthGlade School, Nottingham
- 2005 - Hardwick Workshops, Bramley Vale Primary School, Derbyshire
- 2004 - Come Rain or Shine, Old Basford Primary School, Nottinghamshire
Educational experience - secondary
- 2007 - Creation of Sculptures in Steel With yr10 pupils, Trinity RC School, Nottinghamshire
- 2006 - Research Rookery Park, Ashfield School , Nottinghamshire
- 2000 - Residency, Burnham UpperSchool, Burnham , South Buckinghamshire
- 2000 - Residency, The Beaconsfield School, Beaconsfield, South Bucks
Educational experience - special needs
- 2007 - 10 week residency, Bracken Hill School, Kirkby in Ashfield Site specific
- 2007 - Sunday Times Magazine