My projects explore the territories between art, ecology and politics and take the form of live events, installations and interventions in public places. I craft particular objects and situations which open up a space for interaction or conversation, working with the multiple agents and stories that make up a place. Recent projects include 'Imagined Geographies', a commission for the National Trust at Biddulph Grange Gardens (2015), the 'Bureau of Urban Wilds', a commission for UP Projects (2013-14) and 'Recreation Ground', an exhibition curated by Wasteland Twinning Nottingham. http://bureauofurbanwilds.wordpress.com/ http://wasteland-twinning.net/
CV & Education
2007 - 2008: MA Arts and Ecology (Distinction), Dartington College of Arts, Devon, UK
2000 - 2003: BA (1st Class Hons) Fine Art, Nottingham Trent University, UK
Engagement Curator (part-time) at Primary, Nottingham: www.weareprimary.org
Projects, Events & Exhibitions (selected)
- Jerwood Open Forest Exhibition Group exhibition at Jerwood Space, London - showcasing work from the five shortlisted artists for JOF 2016.
- Jerwood Open Forest Shortlisted artist for the Jerwood Open Forest award (Jerwood Charitable Foundation and Forestry Commission England) - to develop a proposal for an ambitous new public artwork to be situated in a forest.
- Imagined Geographies Sculptural installation at Biddulph Grange Gardens, Staffordshire. Collaboration with Katy Beinart. Commission for The National Trust.
- Expanded Studio Project Colloboration with Elena Cologni, Wysing Arts Centre, Cambridgeshire
- In Dialogue: International Symposium Four day symposium interrogating how artists and researchers use dialogue in practice. Co-curated with Rhiannon Jones and Heather Connelly.
- Archeology of the Future Performance and lecture with David Bell, The Tetley, Leeds
- Bureau of Urban Wilds Publication and public live printing event, UP Projects, London
- Recreation Ground Group exhibition curated by Wasteland Twinning Nottingham, ATTIC, Nottingham
- Bureau of Urban Wilds Commission for UP Projects: Secret Garden Project Lewisham, London
- Production Line Live performance and broadcast with Field Broadcast, Nottingham / London / online
- Adaptation Installation at the new Library of Bimingham as part of the Discovery Season, curated by Capsule
- The Secret History of Plants Exhibition and events at South London Botanical Institute
- Wasteland Twinning Ceremony Synchronised performance with KUNCI Cultural Centre, Yogyakarta, Indonesia
- Wasteland Rounders Club part of Nottingham Contemporary’s ‘What Is Sport’ Program
- Cultivation Field Group exhibition, various locations, Reading
- Wasteland Twinning Launch Event One Thoresby Street studios, Nottingham
- Sneinton Market Meals Events and exhibition as part of Neville Gabie’s ‘Orchard’ project for the redeveloped Sneinton Market, Nottingham. Commissioned by Contemporary Arts Society
- Potion Commission for Artsadmin’s festival ‘Two Degrees: art and activism, climate and cuts’, London
- Origination Residency at Brixton Market and exhibition at 198 Contemporary Arts & Learning, London Collaboration with Katy Beinart.
- How far from home are we? Harwood Arts Centre, Albequerque, US, with Claire Cote and Anna Keleher Food as Counter-Culture Collaborative project for ‘Gentle Actions’, Kunstnernes Hus, Oslo, Norway
- Exponential Growth Commission for Radar Arts program at Loughborough University, Loughborough
- Origination Exhibition at Artlink gallery, Hull, with Katy Beinart
- Though I have missed you so very much Performance/ walking tour, Humber Mouth: Hull’s Literature Festival Origination Exhibition and events at Stellenbosch University and Greatmore Studios, Cape Town, South Africa
- Field Kitchen Commission for Nottingham’s Hinterland festival. Supported by an Arts Council England grant.
- Corridor Commission for the ‘Spring Green’ program (Architecture Centre Bristol / Groundwork South West).
2013: Residency with Field Broadcast, leading to a series of live performances and broadcasts. Nottingham/ London
2011: Residency at Brixton Market, with 198 Arts & Learning, London
2010: Three-month residency at Greatmore Studios, Cape Town, South Africa with Katy Beinart
2011: Wasteland Twinning Nottingham collective with David Bell and Mat Trivett, part of the Wasteland Twinning international network http://wasteland-twinning.net/
2003: Yolk: founding member of an artists’ collective formed to make collaborative work with emerging international artists, with a focus on live work and artists’ responses to place
Talks, workshops & higher education (selected)
- Re-imagining creativity from below panel discussion as part of Being Human 2015 festival
- Art and the Rural workshop at Impington college, part of Elena Cologni's residency programme
- Stresses: Living with toxicity workshop as part of a wider programme on 'The Three Ecologies' at Nottingham Contemporary
- The Slogramme Approach talk and workshop for UP Projects, Floating Cinema, Bristol
- Workshop for The Art of Dwelling: A one-day conference exploring long-term approaches to public art & place IXIA/ In Certain Places, Birmingham
- Tutorials and artists talk for Fine Art students at the University of Nottingham
- Castrophe / Opportunity: a conversation about climate change with invited speakers, co-facilitated with David Bell alongside the ‘Rights of Nature’ exhibition, Nottingham Contemporary
- Walking Reading Group on Participation, Whitechapel Gallery, London. (Project facilitated by Lydia Ashman, Ania Bas and Simone Mair)
- ‘The Urban Immune System’ and ‘All that glitters..’: two conversation events in Deptford with UP Projects
- Presentation at Common Ground Conference, Goldsmiths, London
- ‘The Wasteland Conversations’: a series of discussions at Nottingham Contemporary with invited speakers, examing themes of Making Place; Ecology, Utopia & Community; The Common Imagination and Creativity, Regeneration and Gentrification. Co-faciliated with David Bell and Mathew Trivett
- ‘Ecosophy Study Sessions’, at Nottingham Contemporary, co-facilitated with David Bell
- Presentation and discussion as part of ‘The Brixton Exchange’, for Anchor & Magnet, Brixton
- Visiting artist for Oxford Brookes Fine Art lecture series
- Artist talk at Beacon Bi-monthly, Beacon Art Project, Lincolnshire
- Presentations and workshops as part of Wasteland Twinning Network Forum, ZKU, Berlin
- Visiting Tutor for Fine Art BA students at Nottingham Trent University
- Installation and presentation for Contested Sites/Sights Conference, TRAIN research centre, Chelsea College of Art, London. With Katy Beinart
- Presentation of Wasteland Twinning at the Tracing Mobility Open Platform, HKW, Berlin
- Visiting artist at Nottingham Trent University through the AA2A program 2010-2011
- ‘Residual Soundings’ Discussion with invited speakers, Brixton, London. Chaired by Barby Asante
- ‘What’s occupying the gallery?’ Talk with Jane Trowell (PLATFORM) at ENGAGE conference
- Visiting artist for the Fine Art lecture program at Stellenbosch University, South Africa
- Visiting artist for ‘Grassroots’: Chelsea, Camberwell and Wimbledon School of Art
- In Conversation with Wallace Heim for the Hinterland Symposium, Nottingham
Education & facilitation work (selected)
- Wild Printing workshop, Lakeside Arts Centre, Nottingham
- ‘Taste the World’ Recipe book project with Women’s Culture Exchange, Nottingham
- ‘Operation Deep Freeze’: workshops with Avant-Gardening, London
- Sessional tutor on Art and Design BTEC Extended Diploma, Central College, Nottingham
- Research residency in an elderly people’s Care Home, with City Arts Nottingham
- Knowledge Sharing Sessions for East Midlands Visual Arts Network (EMVAN)
- ‘Body Politic’ six week course for women, exploring the relationships between the personal and political, art and activism. Co-facilitated with Sara Motta (Politics lecturer, Nottingham University) at Primary
2011: Creative Practitioner for outdoor learning project at Carsic Primary School, Sutton-in-Ashfield
2010: Outreach project in Tiervlei community, Cape Town (South Africa).
2009: Co-realizer role for PLATFORM London, developing and critiquing C Words: Carbon, Capital, Climate, Culture a season of work at the Arnolfini, Bristol.