Rachel Gibson's work reflects an intuitive involvement with imagery and ideas that are central to the notion of memory, sense of place and personal experience. Using references from the natural world, she explores in drawing, painting and bookworks the idea of an uncertain stability and the progression through time from one state of being to another.
She works with different drawing and painting media and techniques, sometimes combining them with text, video and sound to create imagery which is both subtle and mysterious.
'I look for and record found objects and natural events that act as heralds from the past or signposts to the future, creating a body of work which suggests shelter and growth but also fragility and loss.'
Through layering, drawing, erasing and redrawing the surface of each piece carries its own history, expressing a link between thought, experience and memory and all the uncertainties inbetween.
Rachel Gibson is an artist who lives and works in Cumbria.
CV & Education
Qualifications and training
2005 - MA Fine Art & Education, University of Northumbria, Newcastle upon Tyne
1972 - BA Hons Fine Art, University of Northumbria, Newcastle upon Tyne
- Ground 3, Florence Mine, Cumbria
- New light Open, Bowes Museum, Co. Durham and Mercer Gallery, Harrogate
- RSA Open, Royal Scottish academy, Edinburgh
- Cumbrian Open, Upfront Gallery, Cumbria - Judges Award
- Lynn Painter Stainers Prize, Mall Galleries, London
- Open up North, Kendal, Cumbria - Judges Commendation
- Painting Now, One Church St Gallery, Buckinghamshire
- Ground - Selected exhibition, Florence Mine, Cumbria
- Artists Book Fair, Baltic, Gateshead
- Egremont Red, Florence Mine, Cumbria
- Unique drawings, One Church Street Gallery, Buckinghamshire
Exhibitions 2012 - 1996
- Drawing Open 2012, Exhibition Award, One Church Street Gallery, Great Missenden
- Open Up North, Brewery Arts Centre, Kendal, Cumbria 2009
- The Lake Artists Summer Show, Grasmere, Cumbria : Exhibition Prize 2008
- Exhibition 3, The Red Barn, Melkinthorpe, Cumbria 2007
- Glasgow Contemporary Art Fair, Glasgow, George Square 2007
- Selected group exhibition, Gallery North, University of Northumbria, Newcastle upon Tyne 2006
- Landmarks 111, Lowood Art Gallery, Cumbria 2003
- Real Art Retrospective, The Beacon, Whitehaven, Cumbria 2001
- Printmaking revisited, Hexham, Northumberland 1999 - Books by Artists, University of West England, Bristol 1997
- Land, an artists book, touring exhibition 1996
- Cumbria 96, Year of Visual Arts, Euston Station 1996
- Northern Print at the Halton, Newcastle upon Tyne 1996
- 2008 - Drawing from experience,( in association with Keith Tyson ) Tullie House Museum & Art Gallery, Cumbria,
- 2006 - Arts and Minds - Conference on Arts and Cultural Entitlement, Cumbria
- 2005 - Performance & Drawing, University of Northumbria - PGC,
- 2000 - Andy Goldsworthy Sheepfolds, Education Project, Bewcastle School,
- 1994 - Sainsbury's Outreach Drawing Workshop, Newcastle upon Tyne
- 2012 Drawing Open, Exhibition Award, One Church Street Gallery, Great Missenden, Buckinghamshire
- 2009 - Kent valley printers Award for best work on paper, Lake Artists Society summer show, Grasmere, Cumbria
- 2006 - Landmarks 111 Exhibition prize, Lowood Art Gallery, Cumbria
- 1996 - Cumbria Visual Arts & Crafts Award, Cumbria
Educational experience -
- Visiting Lecturer - Illustration, University of Central Lancashire, Preston
- Lecturer - Illustration, Drawing, Graphics, Visual Communication, University of Cumbria.