As an artist, I use a range of materials to make work exploring our complex relationships with ourselves and each other, the built environment and the natural world. I live and work in both Glasgow and the Outer Hebrides. These two distinct and enriching contexts shape my work, both its scope and material form.
Material handling is the starting point for making work - I have a daily practice of making, drawing, painting and direct observational engagement with the world around me from which my ideas emanate.
I enjoy opportunities to work with a range of people and situations - a belief in the transformative potential of art for myself and for others informs my own work, my teaching and participatory projects.
CV & Education
Commissions, residencies and collaborative projects
• Focal Point, Print residency, Broad Reach at Taigh Chearsabhagh, Scotland, 2015
• By Leaves we Live, Year of Natural Scotland residency with Planning Aid Scotland, Calouste Gulbenkian, Creative Scotland, 2013. Engaging creatively with professional planners and planning aid volunteers throughout 2013 on the subject of West Coast biodiversity.
• One Road Leads to Another: a modern day pilgrimage, Burn’s Brightly Festival, Ayr, UK, 2012. Series of facilitated drawing walks recording coastal landscapes and group journeys. Work produced exhibited as touring exhibition.
• Artist in Residence, Culzean Castle Dolphin House, Ayrshire, UK, 2010-12. Residency at Culzean Castle making work in response to the coastal landscape, working with other artists, rangers and local students
• Survey of Planners’ Attitudes, part of Black Country Creative Advantage, Centre for Art, Design, Research and Experimentation University of Wolverhampton, 2010. Residency at Sandwell Council planning department creating a publication in response to the work of the planners, the local environment and the council structures.
• Free Line Collective, Historical & Critical Studies department, Glasgow School of Art, UK, 2010
• Home is where the heart is, Urban Studies department, University of Glasgow, UK, 2009. Exhibition and seminar exploring professional identities and human needs.
• Breathe, feel, live. On life after the Berlin Wall, The Lighthouse, Glasgow, UK, 2006-9. Presentation of field work researching the socio spatial legacy of the Berlin Walls demise.
• Cove Park Argyll and Bute Residency, Cove Park, Scotland, UK, 2008
• Strategy Get Arts DIY Show Drumchapel Residency, Glasgow, UK, 2008. Town planner – initiated residency culminating in exhibition during Glasgow International Festival
• Interact residency, Trillke-Gut, Hildesheim, Germany, 2006. Residency at living cooperative culminating in touring exhibition
• Cross Kick: In your Place residency, Kunstverein, Hildesheim, Germany, 2006
• Ragpicker press, Hausman’s, London, 2014
• Works on paper, Project Room, Glasgow, 2014
• Quality of Everyday Life, Summerhall, Edinburgh 2013
• Fragility of Flight, Taigh Chearsabhagh, North Uist UK, 2013
• Dolphin House with Annie Ferguson, Maclauren Galleries, Rozelle Estate, Scotland, UK, 2012
• Asparagus Raindrop, The Old Hairdressers, Glasgow, UK, 2012
• I am not a poet, at Kunst Gallery, Forest Café, Edinburgh, 2011
• ZAAT Mostra de Artes Visuais e Sonoras, Lisbon, Portugal, 2011
• So far so good, Culzean Castle, Ayrshire, Scotland UK, 2010
• Are Black Box and White Cube Dead?, group show, Gallery Melike Bilir, Hamburg, Germany, 2010
• What we make with what we have, The White House, Glasgow, 2009
• The View Outside, Camera Cartell, Elektrohaus Gallery, Hamburg, Germany, 2009
• Strategy Get Arts DIY Show, High St Gallery, Glasgow, UK, 2008
• Standard Life Brave Art 07, Atlantis Gallery, London, UK, 2007
• Featuring House with Frances Bowman and Carl Fraser, London, UK, 2007
• Microperformance duo show with Wolfgang Fuetterer, Tramway, Glasgow, UK, 2006
• Rzeczpospolita, Akademia Sztuk Pieknych, Krakow, Poland, 2006
Selected recent publications and conference papers
• Drawing as Enquiry, Thinking with John Berger, Cardiff Metropolitan University, 2014
• By Leaves we Live, project publication by Creative Scotland and Planning Aid Scotland, 2014.
• The Football Cronicas, Ragpicker Press, 2014
• Econodos, Art Ecology, Creation, Investigation, online Spainish publication http://econodos.net/?p=599, 2012
• Survey of Planners’ Attitudes in Neither Shoreditch nor Manhattan, ed. Monika Vykoukal (Multistory; West Bromwich, 2011)
• Man for himself, on Wolfgang Fuetterer, Jan van Eyck Academie publication, 2010
• The Artists’ Statement, Artists’ Writings 1850 – Present, The Courtauld Institute London, 2009
• Breathe, feel, live. On life after the Berlin Wall, (Wee Three Books; London, 2009)
• Private spaces: collective pages - GAStyZ drawing group GSA, Tracey Contemporary Drawing Research, Autumn 2009
• The art of amateurism, Debate, AN Magazine, 2009
• Public Art and Sustainability, Features, Public Art Resource and Research Scotland, 2008
• Cross Kick, cross cultural collaborations and art education, Verlag Walter Koenig, Berlin, DE, 2008
• Town for Tomorrow catalogue essay, Künstverein Düsseldorf, 2008
• Against Masterplanning: socially engaged art, its limitations and possibilities, Reflections, Public Art Resource and Research Scotland, 2008
• Postgraduate Certificate in Creative Practices, Glasgow School of Art, 2015
• Drawing Practices, Leith School of Art, Edinburgh 2012
• First Class BA (Hons) Sculpture & Environmental Art, Glasgow School of Art and Akademia Sztuk Pieknych, Krakow, Poland, 2007
• Upper Second Class BA (Hons) Philosophy and Politics, University of York, 2000