Martin's research and work are concerned with people's perception and interpretation of space. He undertakes quite large architectural commissions that interact with their given space and the viewer through movement. Alongside this work his practice is also concerned with making kinetic architectural maquettes that slowly investigate themes of repetition, precision and rules. These utopian objects and spaces that are seemingly impossible to implement are what currently drive his work forward.
Martin is also the Co-Founder and Art Director of the design label, Laikingland. The work he creates through this company plays with the themes of humour, nonsense and futility.
CV & Education
Commissions, Competitions and Public Works
- 2017 - Zoar Trees, external sculpture commission for the Canalfon Soar, Merthyr Tydfil, Wales, UK.
- 2016 - Marvellous Mechanica presented by Hole & Corner Magazine, a site specific kinetic installation in the Chapel of the House of St Barnabas, London.
- 2014 - Rainbow, kinetic sculpture for the Walton Centre NHS Foundation Trust, Liverpool, UK.
- 2013 - Machines in the Trees, The Zygote Festival, Arts NK, Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
- 2013 - A.W.E. (Automated Winding Engine). Kinetic robot for the MB&F MAD Gallery, Geneva, Switzerland.
- 2013 - Tweet Clock. Mechanical Alarm Clock for Kikkerland, USA.
- 2012 - 'Hoo-ray and up she rises'. Kinetic window commissioned by Opera North for Overworlds and Underworlds, a Cultural Olympiad project in Leeds, UK. The Artistic Directors of Overworlds and Underworlds are the artists and filmmakers The Quay Brothers.
- 2012 - Kinetic Tricycle and Kinetic Sun. Collaboration with Freedom Studios for the Royal Shakespeare Company, Stratford on Avon, UK.
- 2009 - Flintham Weather Station, Flintham Museum, Nottinghamshire, UK. A Museumaker Project.
- 2006 - Concentric Wave. The Harley Gallery, Nottinghamshire, UK
- 2003 - Cuckoos' Clockwork. The Museum of Toys and Automata, Arima, Japan.
- 2002 - Pigeon Wave. Clock for Cardiff Central Station, Wales, UK
- 2000 - From Muck to Gold, Basic Needs Pavilion. World Expo, Hannover, Germany.
Selected Group Exhibitions
- 2017 - Marvellous Mechanicals, Art Unpacked touring exhibition, UK.
- 2016 - A Curious Turn, Crafts Council touring exhibition, UK.
- 2013 - In A.W.E., MB&F MAD Gallery, Geneva, Switzerland.
- 2013 - 2.0 Exhibition by Rossana Orlandi at the Museo Bagatti Valsecchi, Milan, Italy.
- 2012 - A Spatial Surprise. MInt, Alexanader Square, London.
- 2012 - InterPlay: Mechanical Objects, Southwest School of Art, San Antonio, Texas, USA.
- 2012 - 'With Movement', Laikingland, Ventura Lambrate, Salone de Mobile, Milano, Italy.
- 2011 - Object Abuse, KK Outlet, Hoxton Square, London.
- 2011 - FUNction, Laikingland, Ventura Lambrate, Salone de Mobile, Milano, Italy.
- 2010 - Handcrafted in Britain, The Conran Shop, Michelin House, Chelsea, London.
- 2010 - Laikingland Showcase,The KK Outlet , Hoxton Square, London.
- 2010 - Applause Machine window, Colette, Paris, France.
- 2010 - The CultureLabel Pop-up Store, LDA Pavillion, World Expo, Shanghai, China.
- 2010 - Creative Collaborations, Laikingland, Ventura Lambrate, Salone de Mobile, Milano, Italy.
- 2010 - Kinetica Art Fair, P3, London.
- 2009 - Laikingland, 100% Design, Earls Court, London.
- 2009 - Kinetica Art Fair, P3, London.
- 2008 - Flipside Gallery, Eindhoven, The Netherlands.
- 2007 - Cabaret Mechanical Theatre at the Kinetica Gallery, London.
- 2007 - A Piece of the Action, Bridport Arts Centre, Dorset, UK.
- 2006 - 20-21 Visual Arts Centre, Scunthorpe, UK.
- 2005 - Cabaret Mechanical Theatre, The Gallery at OXO Tower Wharf, London.
- 2005 - Full Fathom Five. Six Chapel Row and Hitchcocks', Bath, UK.
- 2004 - A Cabaret Mechanical Christmas. The Gallery at OXO Tower Wharf, London,
- 2004 - Jeux d'automates. Musée des Automates, Neuilly-sur-Seine, Paris, France.
- 2003 - Cabaret Mechanical Festival. The Gallery at OXO Tower Wharf, London, UK.
- 2003 - Levantehaus, Hamburg, Germany.
- 2003 - Cabaret Mechanical Theatre. The royal Pump Rooms, Royal Leamington Spa, UK.
- 2003 - Rufford Craft Centre, Nottinghamshire, UK.
- 2002 - Out of the box, Cabaret Mechanical Theatre, London, UK.
- 2002 - The Rude exhibition, Hitchcocks', Bath, UK.
- 2001 - in-art-iculate, art.tm, Inverness, Scotland. Then toured throughout 2002.
- 2001 - Ark, Hitchcocks', Bath, UK.
- 2001 - Up and Running, 20-21 Visual Arts Centre, Scunthorpe, UK.
- 2000 - Tick-Tock 2000, The Victoria Art Gallery, Bath, UK. (tour).
- 2000 - The Silent scene; the cultural script in the frame, The Surrey Institute of Art & Design, UK.
- 1999 - A Moving Experience, Oxford Gallery, UK.
- 1998 - Kunstlerisches Spielzeus, Munich, Germany.
- 1998 - Art on the Move, Wysing Arts, Cambridge, UK.
- 1998 - The Collins Gallery, Glasgow, Scotland.
- 1996 - The Grosvenor Museum, Chester, UK.
- 1996 - Rufford Craft Centre, Nottinghamshire, UK.
- 1995 - Museum of Automata, York, UK.
- 1994 - Cogs, Cams, Springs and Things, The Towner Art Gallery, Eastbourne, UK.
- 2013 - Guest Lecturer, Design Products, Royal College of Art, London.
- 2013 -2016 - External Examiner, International Foundation, University of Leeds, UK.
- 2013 - Guest Lecturer, BA Hons Surface Pattern Design/Textile Surfaces, Staffordshire University, UK.
- 2012 - Guest Lecturer, Southwest School of Art, San Antonio, Texas, USA.
- 2011 - Guest Lecturer, BA Hons Product Design and Engineering, Middlesex University, London.
- 2008 - Co-founder of Laikingland, a product design practice that develops and manufactures mechanical objects and devices.
- 2005 - 2012 - Associate Lecturer, Leeds College of Art, UK.
- 2006 - 2208 - Workshop leader, Learning Journeys, NESTA and Bradford Industrial Museum, UK.
- 2005 - Co-founder of Radiant Works, a non-commercial visual arts resource in Huddersfield, UK.
- 1999 - Mechanical sets and puppets for Faulty Optic Theatre of Animation's production, Tunnelvision.
- 1997 - Mechanical sets and puppets for Faulty Optic Theatre of Animation's production, Shot at the Troff.
- 1994 - Guest Lecturer, BA Hons Design Crafts, Herefordshire College of Art and Design, UK.
Work available from:
The M.A.D. Galleries, Geneva, Taipei and Dubai
The Frozen Fountain, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Mint, London, United Kingdom.
Spazio Rossana Orlandi, Milan, Italy.