My painting is all about the mechanics of paint & brush, how to make the paint move by altering its consistency, how you hold the brush, how you mix the colours. The paint is the subject matter. I'm driven by the potential of the materials. I’m not a thematic painter, I move between abstract and figurative, gestural and minimal.
I want each piece of work I make to be different and better than the last. I tend to work across several pieces at once, allowing ideas and colours to bounce from one surface to another. I also consider the grounds I work on, recently returning to using re-cycled and non-pristine surfaces such as fabrics and old frames.
I often combine media, for example using stitch and collage. In doing so I am paying attention to both the visual qualities of the media and the historical context of the process. I am interested in how a piece is viewed and valued, referring at times to the false dichotomy of art versus craft.
Visually, I am led by colour. Often a piece of work will simply begin by me laying down a colour mark, then responding to it by adding a second and so on. I may then decide to incorporate imagery or explore accidental marks, deliberately messing up a surface to challenge the obvious direction the painting may be taking. I avoid the notion of perfection and if a painting becomes too comfortable I will disrupt it to allow it to develop into something new and more exciting.
I see each piece of work I make as a step leading onto something else. They can be seen by the viewer as individual and autonomous pieces and, indeed, I intend for them to stand alone. However, as the artist I am very aware of how they fit together even though at times they may appear disparate. Fundamentally I am exploring the language of paint and as such I relish the opportunity to contrast skill with accident and knowledge with spontaneity.
CV & Education
- 1994, B.A.(hons) Drawing and Painting. Glasgow School of Art
- 2004, M.A. Painting. The University of Hull
- 1999, Certificate in Further and Adult Education: Portsmouth College
- 1993, Student Exchange Scholarship, The School of the Art Institute of Chicago.
- 1998-2000: Artist in Residence. Taunton School, Somerset.
- 2018-ongoing, Painting Tutor for York Learning
- 2000-2002: Course Leader, Art and Design. Scarborough Sixth Form College.
- 2002-2008: Lecturer in Art & Design. Prior Pursglove College, Guisborough.
- 2018: Jospeh Rowntree Housing Trust (JRHT), Folk Hall 'Discovery Room' youth centre design and community arts engagement
- 2019, JRHT Heritage Centre - Design Project Manager
SELECTED SOLO SHOWS
- 2007 FLOWER, Beningbrough Hall, York
- 2007 MISCELLANY, Beningbrough Hall, York
- 2006 TASTE, 20-21 Visual Arts Centre, Scunthorpe
- 1999 NEW PAINTINGS, Air Gallery, London
- 1998 PAINTINGS, Taunton School, Somerset
SELECTED GROUP SHOWS
- 2021 Into the Light, Art Cafe Contmeporary, Whitby
- 2020 Newlight 'Curators Choice', Scarborough Art Gallery
- 2019 Ferens Open, Ferens Art Gallery, Hull
- 2017 The Art Café, Flowergate, Whitby
- 2015/2016 Illuminating York 'Bunny Trail'
- 2015 York Open Studios
- 2009 Summer Show, The Art Cafe, Whitby
- 2008 magical/mystical/nature, Friar Lane Gallery, Nottingham
- 2008 London Art Fair, Beverley Knowles Fine Art, London
- 2006 Multiplicity, Kirkleatham Museum and Art Gallery, Redcar
- 2005 Gallery Artist, Blue Wing Gallery, Padstow, Cornwall
- 2004 Painting is Dead, Long Live Painting, Hastings Museum & Art Gallery, Hastings
- 2004 Women's Work, Artlink Exchange, Hull
- 2003 Unframed, Cuploa Art Galley, Sheffield
- 1997 York Open, York City Art Gallery, York
- 1995 6x6, University of Northumbria, Newcastle
- 1994 New Generation, The Compass Gallery, Glasgow
- 1994 Paths of Exploration, The Assembly Rooms, Glasgow
- 1993 RSA student exhibition, Edinburgh