Although I have actively chosen to work with and develop textile techniques and skills during the past 5 years I do not define my creative practice as exclusively within this area. I am keen to access and exploit photography and digital media also.
Increasingly my work focuses on social issues and I allow a given current theme to predicate the choice of materials, materials that would add to the dialogue. For example if I am dealing with unwanted objects thrown into skips as in my ongoing body of work ‘Waste Embellishment’ I will use gold leaf or marbled velvet to emphasis what is valued and what is not.
When the narrative is focused on human rights as in my work “We Warned You’ which deals with the issue of Domestic Abuse, I set up an installation mirroring a crime scene. Here I have replicated the appearance of police cordon tape, digitally printing on the tape statistics on the impact of budget cutting to Refuges. Increasingly I have used text in my work. The text is there to ensure that the message is explicit as my aim is to highlight the human experiences lived in a world increasingly questioning the status quo.
In general the impetus for work might be immediate or develop over several years with the collection of photographic, video research and the exploration of public and world issues via the media and social media. Also important to me is the connection with other artists. Although I do not share a studio with a creative group preferring to work in my own space I do connect on a regular basis with the excellent art collective ‘Fabric of Protest’ a Manchester based group. Within the group ideas are brought to the forum and developed as well as new skills explored.
CV & Education
Exhibitions from 2016:
- September 2016 World of Glass St Helens Group Exhibition ‘Textiles 21’
- October 2016 Castle Park Frodsham Open Art (Highly commended 2nd)
- March 2018 35 Chaple Walk Gallery 'Fighting Talk' SheFest Sheffield
- July -Sept 2018 Manchester Peoples History Musum Group Exhbition 'Fabric of Protest'
- Textile 21
- Fabric of Protest group – Manchester Peoples History Museum
Last post: Head of Faculty Creative and Applied Arts South Cheshire College
- Wolverhampton Polytechnic - B.A(Hons) 2.1 3-D Design Ceramics
- Liverpool Polytechnic - A.T.D. (Art Teachers Diploma)
- Staffordshire University - Postgraduate Diploma Design CAD/CAM
- Coventry University M.A. Electronic-Art Coventry