My practice explores the meeting of social history, personal memory and landscapes; it investigates their relationship through drawing, painting and scholarly writing. The focus is to investigate how painting and ‘landscape’ might interrelate, how one can be the interface for the other, and what possibilities there are in the space that is created at this interface. I consider my re-presentations of ‘landscape’ in relation to Marianne Hirsch’s writing on postmemory, Karen Till‘s notions of spectral traces and Iain Biggs‘ work on deep mapping. There are several strands to my practice, all engage with place, landscape and environment. I have worked for the last twenty years in a site responsive way in extended research projects that
The relationship of people, place and memory are key for my recent collaboration with the poet Harriet Tarlo. One of our current projects works with a contested coastal community on one of the U.K.’s last existing plotlands. During our work here we have seen environmental, political and economic changes and responded to these through our cross- disciplinary creative practice, ecocritical research and work with local people.
CV & Education
1999 - 2002 Ph.D. Fine Art. University of Leeds.
1997-8 M.A. Fine Art. University of Leeds
1978-81 B.A. Fine Art. University of Oxford.
Membership of professional bodies and research networks
Invited member and on the advisory board for Contemporary British Painting
Co-convenor of LAND2 a landscape and visual arts research network
Co-convenor of Mapping Spectral Traces an international research network
- 2019 Westminster Art Library, London
- 2018 Selected for the Yantai Landscape Biennale, China
- 2018 Shortlisted artist for Jackson’s Open Painting Prize exhibited at Hampstead Art Fair
- 2018 More in Common APT Gallery, London
- 2018 Getting Away ArtHouse1, Bermondsey, London and Quay Arts, Isle of Wight selected by Day Bowman, forthcoming. ?
- 2018 Outfalls Groundwork Gallery, gallery for Art and the Environment, curator Dr. Veronica Sekules.
- 2018 The Case for Place, Steel Rooms, Brigg, Lincolnshire
- 2018 Paint North, Ladybeck, Leeds
- 2017 Contemporary Masters from Britain: 80 British Painters of the 21st Century Yantai Art Museum, Artall Gallery, Nanjing, Jiangsu Art Gallery, Nanjing and the Tianjin Academy of Fine Art, Tianjin. China
- 2017 Anything Goes? Contemporary British Painting: An Exhibition of Works by Members of Contemporary British Painting selected by Anna McNay, Bermondsey Art Project Space, London
- 2017 In the Open, Sheffield, SIA Art Space and Bank Street Arts, Sheffield, Curator and exhibitor
- 2017 Neverends: art, text and music in place at Muriel Barker Gallery, Fishing Heritage Centre, Grimsby culmination of 18 month Arts Council funded commission curated by Linda Ingham
- 2016 Contemporary British Painting Winter Exhibition, Marylebone, London
- 2016 An intervention to accompany “Wildness without Wilderness”: The Poiesis of Energy and Instability The European Association for the Study of Literature, Culture and Environment Université Libre de Bruxelles *
- 2016 Projectfitties Discovery Centre, Cleethorpes,
- 2016 Summer Exhibition of Contemporary British Painting, Quay Arts, Newport Isle of Wight
- 2015 Seeing Double: residency and exhibition of open-form poems by Harriet Tarlo and monochrome drawings by Judith Tucker, The Aldeburgh Beach Lookout Tower
- 2015 In the open New Hall Art Collection, University of Cambridge
- 2015 Fitties Solo show as part of Contemporary British Painting, St. Marylebone, London *
- 2015 behind land: poems and paintings Bank Street Arts, Sheffield *
- 2015 Behind Land: Excavations & Estuaries Hull School of Art and Design
- 2014-2015 The Priseman-Seabrook Collection of 21st Century British PaintingHuddersfield Art Gallery, West Yorkshire
- 2014 @PaintBritain Ipswich Art School Gallery
- 2014 Behind Land Muriel Barker Gallery, Fishing Heritage Centre, Grimsby culmination of 18 month Arts Council funded commission curated by Linda Ingham *
- 2014 Ecopoetics Exhibition "The Trembling Grass" CCANW Exeter
- 2014 Battersea Arts Fair represented by Cavaliero Finn
- 2014 Belair House London represented by Cavaliero Finn
- 2014 Tributaries 4 Bank Street Arts, Sheffield *
- 2014 Drawing nearer: lines of movement, lines of sound. Scott Annexe at University of Plymouth *
- 2014 Tributaries 3 Festival of Nature Gresham’s Holt, Norfolk *
- 2013 Tributaries 2: An exhibition of poems and monochrome drawings by Harriet Tarlo and Judith Tucker. An Arts Council commission *
- 2013 Art et Géographie, Musee de Moulages, Lyon, France
- 2013 Landscape during times of uncertainty Southampton City Art Gallery
- 2012 shadows traces undercurrents Katherine E. Nash Gallery, Regis Centre for Art Minneapolis USA
- 2012 Close to Home: artists reconsider the local, A collaboration between Land2, East Street Arts and the School of Design, University of Leeds.
- 2012 Curious: a site-specific art trail, West Norwood Cemetery, London
- 2013 Millspace Artist in residence at Armley Mills industrial Museum, Leeds Drawings by Judith Tucker and Sculpture by Deborah Gardner
- 2012 Tributaries: An exhibition of poems and monochrome drawings by Harriet Tarlo and Judith Tucker. A Holmfirth Arts Festival commission. *
- 2012 Vestige Abbey Walk Gallery, North Lincolnshire *
- 2011 Space, Place and Spectral Trace BV Gallery Bristol.
- 2010/11 The Nature of Landscape 2 Visions and Distillations of Landscape and Place Abbey Walk Gallery and Surface Gallery Nottingham
- 2011 Katakomby Gallery, Brno, Czech Republic *
- 2011 Spectres on the Beach F Block Gallery, UWE, Bristol. *
- 2010 Postmemorial Landscapes, Armory Gallery, Blacksburg, Virginia, USA *
- 2010 At Sea [email protected]° trust Devon.
- 2010 All Over the Place: Drawing Place, Drawing Space, Stanley and Audrey Burton Gallery, University of Leeds
- 2009 Revisiting the Beach Exlibris Gallery, Fine Art Department, Newcastle University
- 2009 Fieldwork: an exhibition exploring concepts of place and landscape An Tobar Tobnermory, Mull.
- 2008 All Over the Place: Drawing Place, Drawing Space, F Block Gallery, UWE, Bristol
- 2008 Directions in Drawing, Brindley Gallery, Runcorn. Curator Louise Hesketh
- 2008 Tense: Myles Meehan Arts Centre Darlington. *
- 2008 Evocations: Drumcroon Gallery, Lancashire. *
- 2007 Resort viii Institute of Interdisciplinary Art, University of Bath *
- 2006 Painting Lives, Mercer Gallery, Harrogate. Curator Jane Sellars.
- 2006 Talkshow: LAF Group Show, Lounge Gallery, London
- 2006 Migratory Aesthetics University of Leeds Gallery. Curator Griselda Pollock
- 2006 Resort vii Solo exhibition in the New Hall Art Collection, University of Cambridge *
- 2006 Resort vi 20-21 Visual Arts Centre, North Lincolnshire *
- 2006 Resort vi University of Leeds Gallery. *
- 2005 Resort iv The Gallery, Gainsborough’s House, Suffolk. *
- 2005 Resort iii Gallery 33, Swan Street, London *
- 2004/5 LAND2: Beyond Landscape? Co-curator of and contributor to the inaugural exhibition of LAND2. Dean Clough Halifax and Royal West of England Academy Bristol
- 2004 Resort ii Gallery Oldham *
- 2003 Resort Only Atelier, Argentinier Strasse, Vienna. *
- 2003 Judith Tucker Oriel Plas Glyn-y Weddw Gallery, Gwynnedd, Wales, *
- 2003 Caesura: the small series Gallery 33, Swan Street, London *
- 2002 Caesura Dean Clough, Halifax *.
- 2002 Caesura 2 Mrua Gallery, co Clare Eire * .
- 2000 Crossing Mrua Gallery, co Clare, Eire
- 1999 Manchester Academy of Fine Art
- 1999 Shift The Mary Ogilvie Gallery, St. Anne’s College, Oxford *
- 1998 University of Newcastle Gallery, Australia
- 1997 Crossing Two Lands St Matthias Kolleg, Tunsdorf, Germany
- 1996 Glasgow Art Fair represented by Hirschl Contemporary Art
- 1996 Trevelyan College, Durham University
- 1995 Highly Commended Finalist in Bayer Earth Art Prize, London
- 1988 Finalist for Windsor and Newton Young Artists Award. Royal Institute of Oil painters, London
- 2019 Tucker JA and Tarlo HAB ‘Poetry, painting and change on the edge of England’ Sociologia Ruralis (peer reviewed European journal)
- 2018/19 Tucker JA Walking Backwards: art between places in twenty-first century Britain in Walking: Landscape and Environment ed David Borthwick Taylor and Francis (forthcoming)
- 2017 Tucker JA and Tarlo HAB ‘Drawing closer’: an ecocritical consideration of collaborative, cross-disciplinary practices of walking, writing, drawing and exhibiting in Extending Ecocriticism: crisis, collaboration and challenges in the environmental humanities. eds Welstead and Barry, MUP
- 2017 Tucker JA and Tarlo HAB
“Off path, counter path”: contemporary collaborations in landscape, art and poetry” Critical Survey Peer reviewed journal
- 2012 Tucker JA Brooding on Bornholm: postmemory, painting and place in Jones O.and Garde-Hansen, J. (eds) Geography and Memory. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan
- 2011 Tucker J. On the Beach at Bornholm: Journal of Visual Art Practice
- 2010 Tucker J. The Lido in the Forest: Painting, Memory and Subjectivity in Memory, Mourning and Landscape: Interdisciplinary Essays eds Elizabeth Anderson, Avril Maddrell, Kate McLoughlin and Alana Vincent. Rodopi Press Amsterdam.
- 2009 Tucker J. Belated Landscapes: A Second-Generation Aesthetic Practice in a British Context Journal for the Study of British Cultures (JSBC)
- 2006 ‘Resort: re/visiting, re/visioning, re/placing’, Journal of Visual Art Practice5: 1, pp. 95–106, doi: 10.1386/jvap.5.1.95/1
- 2007 Painting Landscape: Mediating Dislocation (Judith Tucker) in Culture, Creativity and Environment: new environmentalist criticism. Eds Fiona Becket and Terry Gifford, Rodopi Press Amsterdam.
- 2007 Painting Places: A Postmemorial ‘Landscape’? (Judith Tucker) Book Chapter in Migratory Aesthetics. Eds. Samuel Durrant and Catherine Lord. Rodopi Press Amsterdam
Conference Papers and invited public talks
- 2018 Fitties: Once was Holiday at Frames of Representation: Symposium: Imaginaries Of The Desert, Institute of Contemporary Art, London (invited)
- 2017 In the Open Xi'an Academy of Fine Art, China
- 2017 Between us: British painting in China Artall Gallery, Nanjing, China
- 2017 Poetry, Painting and Change on the Edge of England XXVIIth ESRS conference – Uneven processes of rural change: On diversity, knowledge and justice, Krakow, Poland
- 2017 Outfalls: lines of navigation at Neverends: art, music, text in place public at Grimsby Fishing Heritage Centre, Alexandra Dock, Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire
- 2017 Painting; Writing Painting; Painting and Drawing with Griselda Pollock and Catherine Ferguson Camberwell College of Arts UAL.
- 2016 Threadings, Bendings, Tanglings: Poetry, Painting and Place at Wildness without Wilderness”: The Poiesis of Energy and Instability The European Association for the Study of Literature, Culture and Environment Université Libre de Bruxelles (with Harriet Tarlo)
- 2016 Painting Place: Exploring Memory, Identity and Becoming at Exchanging Notes with China an Anglo –Chinese Painting Symposium, University of Suffolk (invited speaker)
- 2016 Place as Pause: the value of collaborative, cross-disciplinary practices in place Landscape values: place and praxis, Centre for Landscape Studies, NUI Galway (with Harriet Tarlo)
- 2015 If you are that place: poetry, painting and land ASLE UKI Green Knowledge Conference, Murray Edwards College, University of Cambridge (with Harriet Tarlo)
- 2015’Are you alive?’: Vital Materialist Practice in modernist and contemporary art, poetry and collaboration, Vibrant Matters Conference, University of Dundee, (with Harriet Tarlo)
- 2015 Public talk on Excavations and Estuaries project at Usher Gallery, Lincoln, with Harriet Tarlo
- 2014 Off path, counter path: contemporary collaborations in landscape “Of the Earth: Art, Photography, Writing and the Environment” conference, Plymouth University Keynote (with Harriet Tarlo)
- 2014 ‘Tributaries’, drawing and writing in landscape. At Landscape and Place symposium at ‘Landscape and Art Network’ (LAN) event. (with Harriet Tarlo)
- 2014 Public presentation on Tributaries at the Midsummer Poetry Festival Bank Street Arts, Sheffield. (with Harriet Tarlo)
- 2014 Drawing nearer: lines of movement, lines of sound.
- Drawing and Place symposium at Plymouth College of Art (with Harriet Tarlo)
- 2014 It begins with a line in space: drawing and writing in landscape
- keynote at The Festival of Nature Gresham’s, Holt, Norfolk (with Harriet Tarlo)
- 2013 BETWEEN LINES IN SPACE: drawing and writing in landscape at the Excavations and Estuaries Seminar at Abbey Walk Gallery (with Harriet Tarlo)
- 2013 Tributaries: contemporary collaborations with neo-romanticism at Landscape and Uncertainty, Southampton City Art Gallery2012
- None of this was here: poetry and drawing in place at Mapping Spectral Traces 6 University of Minnesota USA
- 2012 It begins with a line in space: drawing and writing in landscape 8th biennial conference of ASLE-UKI,Composting Culture: Literature, Nature, Popular Culture, Science, Institute of Humanities and Creative Arts.University of Worcester Plenary. (with Harriet Tarlo)
- 2012 It begins with a line in space at Close to home: artists reconsider the local, An exhibition and symposium to celebrate ten years of the network Land2. A collaboration between Land2, East Street Arts and the School of Design, University of Leeds (with Harriet Tarlo)
- 2012 Haunted landscapes: concrete, coast and canvas‘Forgotten’ War and Occupation Heritage: Shedding, McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research,University of Cambridge UK
- 2012 'Spectres on the Beach': Haunted landscapes in material, affective and painted places at the Association of American Geographers, New Yprk USA
- 2012 Between Spectral Traces and Concrete Reminders: a Postmemoriallandscape? (Keynote) at ‘Situating States of Mind’, University of Northumbria, Newcastle upon Tyne
- 2011 Haunted Landscapes: Concrete, Coast and Canvas.Mapping Spectral Traces IV: Maynooth and Dublin, National University of Ireland Maynooth and the Irish Museum of Modern Art
- 2010 Spectres on the Beach: Concrete Remains, Ghost Rockets and Pleasure Cruises at Exploring the Edge of Trauma The 7th Cultural Intersections International Colloquium, presented by: Kingston University, UK and McMaster University, Ontario,
- 2010 The Nature of Landscape: distillations of landscape and place Symposium Abbey Walk Gallery Lincolnshire.
- 2010 On the Beach at Bornholm: tourists, soldiers artists at Spectral Traces a LAND2 symposium at University of Leeds
- 2009 Tense at UCL Urban Laboratory Seminar: Landscape and Memory. University College, London
- 2009 Tense Keynote Speaker at Revisiting the Beach at the University of Newcastle.
- 2008 Drawing Away: Unstable Relations at All Over the Place: Drawing Place, Drawing Space, UWE, Bristol
- 2008 Memory Matters. Forgetting to Remember/Remembering to Forget’ Conference, University of Kent
- 2008 The Lido in the Forest: Painting, Memory and Subjectivity at Memory, Mourning, and Landscape, University of Glasgow
- 2007 Present Tense: Drawing Close to Death. 8th International Conference on the Social Context of Death, Dying and Disposal University of Bath
- 2007 Invited participant at Slip Frame a panel discussion on the space between frames, looking at digital and film frames, painting, memory and affect at the APT Gallery, London, organised by London Metropolitan University
- 2007 Invited participant at (Re)placements Memory Matters organised by Space and Place University of Minnesota U.S.A.. Financially supported by the University of Minnesota. U.S.A.
- 2006 Inside Out: Drawing the Domestic Uncanny. CongressCATH 2006 The Afterlife of Memory: Historia/Memoria/Amnesia (5 - 8 July, 2006, at the University of Leeds, UK.)
- 2005 Here and There: Why Represent Landscape? invited keynote speaker at ‘Common Ground’ Rugby Art Gallery and Museum in association with the University of Northampton and Landscape Research.
- 2005 Invited speaker at Migratory Aesthetics organised by the Amsterdam School for Cultural Analysis (ASCA) University of Amsterdam & Centre for Cultural Analysis, Theory and History (Centre Cath) University of Leeds Financially Supported by the Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (NWO),
- 2004 Painting Places: A Postmemorial ‘Landscape’? At Art After landscape:Memory, Place and Identity. Conference organised by University of the West of England and University of Leeds..
- 2004 -Painting Places: A Postmemorial ‘Landscape’ At The Politics of Cultural Memory Manchester Metropolitan University
- 2003 ‘Painting and Postmemory’ at More Than a Change of Address. The conference of the Second Generation at the Weiner Library, London
- 2002 Inaugural seminar of LAND2 research network at University of the West of England Bristol (Invited)
- 2002 ‘Painting Landscape: Mediating Dislocation’ at Creativity, Culture, Environment, the biennial conference of the UK branch of the Association for the Study of Literature and Environment. University of Leeds.
- 2002 ‘Painting as a Place to go Places’ at Internationalism and Arts of Cross-Culture, a conference in association with the journal The Cutting Edge, Peterborough School of Art(s) and Leicester University held at the British Psychological Society, London. (Invited)
Current and previous employment
2006 – present Senior Lecturer, Art and Design, School of Design University of Leeds
2017 - Deputy Director of Research and Innovation, School of Design, University of Leeds
2015 -2016 Deputy Head of School of Design, University of Leeds,
2009 -2015 Programme Manager, BA Art and Design, School of Design, University of Leeds
2006-9 Visiting Research Fellow University of the West of England
2003 - 2006 AHRC Research Fellow in the Creative and Performing Arts
School of Fine Art, History of Art and Cultural Studies, University of Leeds.
2002-2006 Associate lecturer Leeds College of Art and Design
2001-2005 Visiting lecturer at:
· University of Northampton,
· Leeds Metropolitan University
· University College for the Creative Arts at Canterbury
· University of Lincoln
· Bretton Hall
· The Arts Institute at Bournemouth
· Putney School of Art
Journal for Artistic Research: peer reviewer. JAR is an international, online, open access and peer-reviewed journal for the identification, publication and dissemination of artistic research and its methodologies, from all arts disciplines.
International Journal of Applied Arts Studies: peer reviewer – an International journal is an open access and peer-reviewed journal which publishes original scholarly research papers in the field of Architecture, Arts, Urban Planning, Architectural Conservation, Restoration, Cloth Design, Graphics, Painting and Fashion Design.
AHRC – Consultant for the AHRC Landscape and Environment programme
Advisory committee of Contemporary British Painting
Galleries Advisory Committee, University of Leeds
University of the Arts, London, 2017
Anglia Ruskin University 2017
University of Lancaster 2016
University of Gloucester 2015
York St John University 2014
University of Southampton 2008, 2010
MFA Fine Art, Wimbledon College of Arts, University of the Arts, London, 2017- 2021
MFA Art and Humanities, University of Dundee 2012 – 2016
MA Fine Art, Grimsby Institute affiliated with the University of Hull 2007 -2008
BA Fine Art University of Nottingham 2014 -2016
BA Fine Art University of Chester 2010 - 2014
BA Visual Studies Norwich University College of the Arts 2008- 2011
BA Fine and Applied Art, Grimsby Institute affiliated with the University of Hull 2005-2008