Jonathan works with various visual media such as printmaking (linocut, etching, screenprint, monotype), painting (oils and acrylic) and photography (digital and analogue, alternative techniques e.g. solargraphs, contact printing).
Digital technology can sometimes play a role in the process of creating his works. He is preoccupied by the relationship between digital and traditional techniques, and the values we impose on them. He is drawn to nature and landscape as subject matter, as well as the built environment and the history of architecture. He is fascinated by how urban and rural rub against each other in our cities. Memory and place always play a significant role in his work.
CV & Education
Education and Background
Jonathan Brennan is an artist living and working in Belfast since 2012. Originally from Dublin, he spent most of the last decade in Brussels, Belgium where he studied painting at the École des Arts d’Anderlecht. He previously studied History of Art & Architecture (and Spanish) at Dublin University, Trinity College Dublin and has a MSc in Multimedia Systems.
His works are in private collections in Europe and the US. He also builds websites. Since moving to Belfast, Jonathan has exhibited in Framewerk, ArtisAnn, Belfast Exposed, the Bath House and collaborated on a dramatic performance of ‘Door into the Dark’, producing a series of video poems for the new Seamus Heaney HomePlace in Bellaghy.
Jonathan is a member of the Belfast Print Workshop.
- QSS Winter show - two works from the Alleys of the East series.
- Framewerk Winter Show - two new works.
- ArtisAnn - a painting from the 'Animist' series - 'Oranges (on the dashboard', acrylic on mount board.
- Belfast Print Workshop Christmas show - three new works in linocut and aquatint.
- Cresent Arts Centre, Belfast. 'Mandala' – solo exhbition of 6 screenprints which were the result of a collabration with the Siri Indian vocal group who rehearse in the centre.
- Crescent Arts Centre, Belfast. 40³ Exhibition - celebrating 40 years of the Belfast Print Workshop, the exhibition contained current members' responses to the archive.
- Cotton Court gallery (Belfast Print Workshop): ‘Guadalupe & Other Hallucinations’ – an exhibition of 12 new linocut prints by artist Jonathan Brennan based on the book ‘Guadalupe & Other Hallucinations’ by the artist’s brother. March/April 2017.
See video summary: https://vimeo.com/210793736
- Framewerk gallery: solo exhibition ‘Alleys of the East’ - 20 monotype prints on the theme of alleys in the east of Belfast and a 17min video shown in the Belfast Film Festival. March/April 2017. See video: https://vimeo.com/212054300
- ArtisAnn gallery: 1 work selected for ‘Winter Themed Artworks by Established and Emerging Artists’ show. Belfast, December 2016. Other works currently on temporary display.
- Seamus Heaney HomePlace: a series of 10 original ‘video poems’ for a dramatic performance of ‘Door into the Dark’. Bellaghy, November 2016.
- Framewerk gallery: 2 works – Green Way (May) and Green Way (December) – selected for ‘Art of Cycling’ group exhibition. Belfast, June 2016.
- Abridged print edition: ‘Polluting the Rivers with Severed Body Parts’ mixed media print in Abridged journal (Abridged 0 – 43: Lethe)
- Belfast Exposed & the ‘Bath House’: ‘Wish You Were Here’ group photographic exhibition at Belfast Exposed (Nov 2013) and the ‘Bath House’ (Jan 2014). Belfast, 2013 & 2014
- Galerie Vertige: 2 works selected for ‘Une Seule Couleur’ group exhibition. Brussels, 2011.
- Galerie Vertige: work selected for ‘Copie Originale’ group exhibition. Brussels, 2010.
- Parcours d’Artistes: Solo exhibition of oils and linocut prints. Brussels, 2010.
- École des Art d’Anderlecht: Group exhibition. Brussels, 2009.
- Douglas Hyde Gallery: Masters in Multimedia Systems, Group exhibition. Dublin, 2001.