My practice is based on the exploration of complex ideas and contemporary experiences through interweaving traditional print processes with modern technology.
Previous work includes a series on the War in Syria, where I worked to illuminate the effect of modern wars viewed in glimpses through screens. In another body of work, Memory States, I explored the impact of trauma on memory. It aimed to evoke the extraordinariness of the traumatic narrative. Each piece, a different exploration of a state of memory. Attempts to convey something ungraspable and incomplete.
CV & Education
· Winner of the Intaglio Printmakers prize, National Original Print Exhibition, 2018.
· Winner of Peter Reddick Relief Printing Bursary, Spike Print Studio, Bristol, 2017.
· Winner of the Hawthorn prize at the Flourish Award, West Yorkshire Print Studio, 2017.
· Prize winner in Galeri Open, Caernarfon, Wales, 2017.
• Winner of the Printmaking Today prize at the National Original Print exhibition 2014
• Winner of the Regional Print Centre award at the National Original Print exhibition 2014 www.regionalprintcentre.co.uk Shortlisted for the Printmaking Today prize at the International Print Biennale, Newcastle www.printmakingtoday.co.uk
• Winner of the “People’s Choice” award in “FRESHLY PRESSED” The Printmakers Council exhibition, London, 2014. www.printmakerscouncil.com
· Peter Reddick Bursary Award residency, Spike Print Studio, Bristol. 2017-18.
· Stwidio Maelor - Machynlleth, Wales, 2017.
· Woolwich Contemporary Print Fair, London.
· SHARP LINES, Peter Reddick Bursary solo exhibition, Spike Island Print, Bristol.
· National Original Print Exhibition, Bankside, London.
· MEMORY STATES, solo exhibition, The Courtyard, Hereford, England.
· Spike Print Open Studios, Bristol, England.
· EDGE, Art and Technology, Pontio, Bangor, Wales.
· Flourish Award, West Yorkshire Print Studio, Mirfield, England.
· Galeri Open Exhibition, Caernarfon, Wales.
· “Noise of Our Time” Pontio Arts Centre. Bangor University. Wales.
· Printmaker’s Council. Scarborough Museum and Art Gallery.
• IMPRESS' 16 Printmaking Festival. Gloucester. March 2016.
• The Royal West of England Academy 163rd Annual Open Exhibition, Bristol.
• The Masters - Relief Prints, The Royal Society of Painter-Printmakers, Bankside Gallery, London. November 2015. www.re-printmakers.com
• 50 years of Artists Prints, The Printmakers Council, Bankside Gallery, London. November 2015. www.printmakerscouncil.com
• Caffi Celf, Oriel Mostyn, Llandudno, Wales. April - July 2015
· Neo:Printprize 2014, gallery 22, the market place, Bolton, 28th August - 2nd November www.neoartists.co.uk
• National Original Print Exhibition, Bankside Gallery, London. 16th-26th September 2014. www.nationalprint.org
• International Print Biennale, Newcastle, England. www.internationalprintbiennale.org.uk/artists/jess-bugler
• Feature in THE PRINTMAKERS COUNCIL at 50 book, 2016
• Interview in PRINTMAKING TODAY, 2015.
• Article on lino print technique in PRINTMAKING TODAY, 2015.
· EDGE, Art and Technology, Pontio, Bangor, Wales
• HE Print Workshop leader, Hereford College of Art, 2017 to current day.
• Tutor Printmaking for Certificate Fine Art, Bangor University - 2016
• Workshops including those at Hereford College of Art, The Regional Print Centre,Wrexham and Anglesey Arts Forum.
• 1st Class BA Honours Fine Art – Bangor University, 2017
• Professional Graduate Certificate in Education University of South Wales. 2018