Hiraeth beckons with wordless call,
Hear, my soul, with heart enthrall'd.
Hiraeth whispers while earth I roam;
Here I wait the call "come home."
Like seagull cry, like sea borne wind,
That speak with words beyond my ken,
A longing deep with words unsaid,
Calls a wanderer home instead
©Tim Davis, 2007
I lived in Brynmawr at the Head of the Valleys for 17 years. On a Sunday morning I walked over the mountains, over fields, and down valleys with my father and brother. The memories, associations and traces of the history of a place – geological or man-made – remain with me. The rugged Welsh landscape I remember from my childhood as been destroyed, renovated and transformed throughout my lifetime it leaves me wishing to uncover, delve and reveal through painting.
In those mountains, ancient rocks, myriad reeds and mosses, beeches and oaks, gushing waterfalls and rhythmic tides there is something about lineage, layers, true source material that speaks of elemental cycles of birth, growth, deterioration and death. In my painting I evoke these memories looking for poetic rhythms and echoes to make resonant statements. The paintings I produce are the result of a distillation of the essential colours, marks and sensations,
Certain elements are always important and evident in my work - emotive spirit, a sense of passing time and of memory connecting with our deepest thoughts. I'm naturally concerned with composition, decomposition, colour and form. I like there to be a rhythm and depth in the painting style which draws your eyes across the surface and excites the mind, translating the energy of the subject through the physicality of mark making and gestures and colour.
The work has a raw quality and a sense of uncertainty, retaining a freshness that creates an openness and provokes questions.
CV & Education
- M.A. Fine Art Middlesex University, 2006
- B.A. Fine Art Byam Shaw, London
- Foundation: Bournville, Birmingham
- Group Shows
- March - May 16 Selected Group "Breath of Nature" Boundaryt Art Cardiff
- July -Aug 2015 Selected Group 'Summer Show Abergavenny Art Shop
- Nov 14 – Jan 15 Selected Group “Borders” Bernard Weatheril House,
- June 2013 Selected Group “Feminist Times” Online
- March 2012 Selected Group: 'It Is Green', Cultivate Gallery, Vyner Street London E2
- July 2011 Selected Group: 'Oh Open', People & Portraiture. Oxford House,
- June 2011 Group show: Curated Kings Hill Kent
- March 2010 Selected Group: 'BRICK', The Gallery in Redchurch Street,
- August 2009 Selected: Cork Street Open. Cork Street. London W1
- May 2009 Selected Group; 'CRAC', Hackney Empire. London E8
- June 2008 -13 Solo : Curated June Frickleton DMH, London WC2
- April 2008 Selected: ‘Artandaid’, Red Cross Exhibition, Hague, Neths
- July 2007 -12 Selected: Barnet Open, Artsdepot, London N12
- March 2007 Selected Group Show: ‘New Art’, Birmingham
- March 2007 Group Show: ‘Women’s Work’ - Arts Centre, Basingstoke
- February 2007 Group Show: Historic Dockyard, Portsmouth
- Oct 14 – Jan 15 Solo“Landscape and Memory” Psychotherapy Centre, London NW5
- July - Aug 2010 Solo'Sanctuary', Tavistock Centre, 120 Belsize Lane, London NW3
- Sept 2009 Solo'Figures in a World', London Psychotherapy Centre, London NW5
- Oct - Dec 2008 Solo'Change', Cloisters. Pump Court Inner, Temple, London WC1
- April 2007 Solo 'What Lies Beneath', Pittstudio & Gallery, Worcester
- Nov 2007 - 14 Open Studio: Chocolate Factory. London N22
- June 2016 -- Suffolk Open Studios. Kessingland