Based in Kessingland, Suffolk
Working within the tradition of oil painting and seeking out new solutions, the intention is to evoke an experience of empathy and recognition. Challenging traditional ideas of oil painting I Investigate the human body and the landscape, images retained from past memories: often overlaid with more present recollections and observations.
I have always been attracted to the constant interaction between ideas, image, and mark making: exploring areas of intensity and of space, and seeking a balance between form and meaning. Surfaces are reworked, layered, scraped back and covered; ghosts of under-painting emerge as shadows. Paintings can be left and returned to, completed in weeks or years.
My grandchildren’s current interest in superheroes inspirited my latest paintings. I think these young people will need to be exceptional human beings in order to deal with the environmental legacy our generation has bequeathed them. What an enormous price today's decision makers have placed on the wellbeing of future generations, when carving out their response to climate change.
The prognosis is not good. There is no doubt that my generation has uniquely contributed to this increasing chaos, and the burden my grandchildren and those of others will have to carry because of it.
I hope they continue to be superheroes.
CV & Education
- M.A. Fine Art Middlesex University, 2006
- B.A. Fine Art Byam Shaw, London
- Foundation: Bournville, Birmingham
- Group Shows
- March - May 16 Selected Group "Breath of Nature" Boundaryt Art Cardiff
- July -Aug 2015 Selected Group 'Summer Show Abergavenny Art Shop
- Nov 14 – Jan 15 Selected Group “Borders” Bernard Weatheril House,
- June 2013 Selected Group “Feminist Times” Online
- March 2012 Selected Group: 'It Is Green', Cultivate Gallery, Vyner Street London E2
- July 2011 Selected Group: 'Oh Open', People & Portraiture. Oxford House,
- June 2011 Group show: Curated Kings Hill Kent
- March 2010 Selected Group: 'BRICK', The Gallery in Redchurch Street,
- August 2009 Selected: Cork Street Open. Cork Street. London W1
- May 2009 Selected Group; 'CRAC', Hackney Empire. London E8
- June 2008 -13 Solo : Curated June Frickleton DMH, London WC2
- April 2008 Selected: ‘Artandaid’, Red Cross Exhibition, Hague, Neths
- July 2007 -12 Selected: Barnet Open, Artsdepot, London N12
- March 2007 Selected Group Show: ‘New Art’, Birmingham
- March 2007 Group Show: ‘Women’s Work’ - Arts Centre, Basingstoke
- February 2007 Group Show: Historic Dockyard, Portsmouth
- Oct 14 – Jan 15 Solo“Landscape and Memory” Psychotherapy Centre, London NW5
- July - Aug 2010 Solo'Sanctuary', Tavistock Centre, 120 Belsize Lane, London NW3
- Sept 2009 Solo'Figures in a World', London Psychotherapy Centre, London NW5
- Oct - Dec 2008 Solo'Change', Cloisters. Pump Court Inner, Temple, London WC1
- April 2007 Solo 'What Lies Beneath', Pittstudio & Gallery, Worcester
- Nov 2007 - 14 Open Studio: Chocolate Factory. London N22
- June 2016 -- Suffolk Open Studios. Kessingland