‘Fountain, fountain…’* is both a major touring art project and an art collective [-in-progress] founded and directed by critically acclaimed Manchester based artist curator Mike Chavez-Dawson.
The common ground for both the project & collective is the seminal 20th Century artwork ‘Fountain, 1917 – 1964’ by the father of Conceptual art Marcel Duchamp - which is celebrating it’s centenary across the globe this year (2017).
Whilst the questionable relevence of this iconic work and its proliferation into institutes and its legacey are the starting point of the projects/shows, the collective aspect of Ff...* will continue to evole as it takes on other seminal artworks as both material and platforms for exploration and practice, wheather it focuses on the physical or conceptual attributes will depend on the contexts and form the collective takes it under Chavez-Dawson's direction.
Draft Notes (15052017):
*Ff… is a tricky thing as it is ‘doubleness’ personified; on the one hand it is the name of a series of forthcoming touring projects/exhibitions that will debut Saturday 30th September 2017 at Bury Art Museum & Sculpture Centre, and the other is that it has now become the basis for a group of collaborations directed by artist curator Mike Chavez-Dawson, that will collectively produce specific works and research under this moniker.
For clarification the initial shows/exhibitions will be termed ‘Fountain, fountain…’ project/show, and the collective activities directed by lead artist Mike Chavez-Dawson will be known as ‘Fountain, fountain…’ activities, I might even get confused myself – so please bare with us.
Though the common ground of both facets is that the seminal artwork ‘Fountain, 1917 – 1964’ by the father of conceptual art Marcel Duchamp as it’s starting point, area of inquiry and subject matter.
Supporters, partners and collaborators (to date):
Ff... now involves a growing team and support from numerous galleries, institutions and organisations, including Bury Arts Museum, Fountain '17 and Armitage Shanks, the Arts Council England, Atelier One, Axisweb and Doctor John Rowe amongst many others.
Artists: Richard Shields, Ruby Tingle, Martin Hamblin and Sandra Bouguerch.
Film Makers: Brian Harvey, and Paul Wright.
Galleries: Bury Art Museum & Sculpture Centre, Manchester Art Gallery, Louisa Gunniess Gallery, UNION Gallery and Paul Stolper Gallery.
Curators: Clarissa Corfe, Gina Warbuton, Susan Lord, Jill Howitt, Kate Jesson
Art Collectors: Frank Cohen, Dr Marios Pierides.
Arts Writers: Sara Jaspan, Brian Wild, David Gledhill to name a few...
Media: Flux Magazine, Artist Newsletter, Luxary Topping, Beesblog.
Other: Adapt for Arts.
PR: FOURTH DAY
CV & Education
Select Solo Shows/Projects:
- 2017 to 2018 ‘FOUNTAIN, fountain…’ Bury Art Museum, Bury, UK [Touring: Europe & USA]
- 2017 ZsONAMACO MÉXICO ARTE CONTEMPORÁNEO, México
- 2016 Design Miami/Basel, showing with the Louisa Guinness gallery, Miami, USA
- 2016 London Art Fair, showing with the UNION gallery, London, UK
- 2014 Multiplied, showing with the Paul Stolper gallery, London, UK
- 2013 Design Miami, showing with the Louisa Guinness gallery, Miami, USA
- Public: Manchester Art Gallery, Bury Art Museum & Sculpture Centre,
- Private: Sir Anish Kapoor, Gabriela Palmieri, Frank Cohen and Dr Marios Pierides.
Select Group Shows:
- 2017 'FOUNTAIN 17', ELEVEN GALLERY, Hull, UK
- 2015 'FABRICATIONS' The Furniture Makers Hall, London, UK
- 2017 ‘Closing Event' with Ruby Tingle, Fountain '17, Hull, UK
- 2017 ‘Unveiling Duchamp's Ring' with Ruby Tingle, Manchester Art Gallery, Mcr, UK
- 2017 FOUNTAIN '17 (Northstar)
Web-links Select Past Press: