I would describe myself as a 'Constructor' and blame it on being given a Meccano set as a child. I love the engineering aesthetic and that runs through my work. I like the way a piece of work can interact with different spaces in different ways and it informs the way I think and 'design' work.
As much as I would like to say I've been an artist since school days, that's not the case. My first love was the sea and I spent many years crossing oceans to obscure places for a living. It was exposure to other cultures that drove my curiosity.
Later in life I wanted to do something that had been nagging away at me for years. I strove to become an artist... Not the first seaman to want to be an artist, there's famously Lucien Freud and Alfred Wallis to name but two.
So I went to art school in 2003 and graduated with a BA in 2006. Thought I could do a little better, so gained a Masters in 2008 and now have a Doctorate.... that wasn't the original idea when I ran away to sea at 16 or even when I started at art school.
....oh and I have a British Board of Trade First Class Certificate of Competency [Steam and Motor] as well, if that has any relevance. Probably not now! Quite proud of that one.?
If anyone wants to check my doctoral thesis it is 'The Neo-Monument - Monuments of Dissent and their Emergence in the late 20th and early 21st Century' - its a corker.
CV & Education
- Cosmic Perspectives, The Ugly Duck, Bermondsey, London 2018
- Drive Thru, Q Park. Marylebone, London. 2016
- Where is Your Humanity?. 44AD Artspace. Bath. 2016
- The Humanity Monument. Trowbridge Arts. Trowbridge. 2016
- Architectural Apparatus No.5 and No.6. The Holburne Museum, Bath. UK 2012
- Ecstasy of Truth, Redcliffe Bridge, Bristol. UK 2009
- Doctoring Practice, Aberystwyth University, Aberystwyth. 2011
- Lots Wife, Salisbury Art Centre, Salisbury. 2011
- We Live in Public, The Officers Club, Bath. 2010
- Spike Island Open Studios, Spike Island, Bristol. 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013
- 6@the octagon, The Octagon, Milsom Place, Bath. 2008
- MFA Show, School of Art, Bath Spa University, Bath. 2008
- Pontoon, River Thames, Oxford. 2006
- Free Range, Old Trueman Brewery, Brick Lane, London. 2005
- Bath Fringe Festival, Going Places Gallery, Bath. 2003
- 'Best of 2003', Hotbath Gallery, Bath, UK. 2003
- Untitled, British Council, Sofia, Bulgaria. 2003
Qualifications and training
- PhD. School of Art, Bath Spa University, Bath 2017
- Master of Fine Arts (Distinction), School of Art, Bath Spa University, Bath 2008
- Bachelor of Arts [Honours] School of Art, Bath Spa University 2006