Clare Smith’s practice involves pattern, chance and process, often using strategies such as cutting, tearing, gluing and stitching. Smith works with drawing, print media, installation painting and collage to investigate the tensions between identities and traditions informed by her Chinese/English heritage.
Smith has a playful, experimental and physical approach to generating work, which is combined with a reflective process in its development.
An autobiographical sense of instability, not quite fitting in and in-betweenness, due in part to the frequent travelling between homes in various countries and boarding school in England as a child, also informs her work. There is a delicacy and fragility to some of Smith’s work, which reflects this constant sense of precariousness. The cut-out elements she often uses can be read as narrative gaps but also as spaces of potentiality
Collaboration is part of Clare’s practice and she is also co-founder of Dover Arts Development (DAD) together with painter, Joanna Jones. This involves working with many different artists, curation, organisation, event management, creating networks across East Kent and influencing the public realm in Dover.
Clare works from a studio in Dover. She has an MA in Fine Art from Central Saint Martins and has exhibited nationally and internationally.
CV & Education
- 2015: Stitched Time (Folkestone, part of WOW Folkestone 2015)
- 2014: Stitched Time (ACE funded project exploring collective making, work and performance, with an exhibition at Limbo, Margate)
- 2013: Transparency, with Korinna McRobert, (Leytonstone Arts Trail)
- 2012: Handwork, Former Centurion House Box Gallery, Dover
- 2012: In the Making (Gallery as studio), Space Gallery, Folkestone 2012
- 2012: The Voyagers: 3-part installation - Boats of remembrance; Boat Quilt; un bateau albanais (Philippe Bazin), Dover Museum, Dover
- 2016: Outside the Lines (curated by Karen Pamplin Browne, Brew Folkestone)
- 2016: Sugar and Spice (curated by Plastic Propaganda, St Katherine Docks, London)
- 2016: Nautical Perspectives (curated by Plastic Propaganda, St Katherine Docks, London)
- 2015: Drawn Conversations, (ICE, Coventry School of Art and Design)
- 2015: A Table of Elements (SALT Festival, Folkestone, Lindon Studio)
- 2015: Deep East Winter exhibition (The Mayor’s Parlour Gallery, London)
- 2014: Print Informs, Mayor's Parlour Gallery, London
- 2014: Wo bu dong, Picadilly place, Manchester
- 2014: A fine line, Sevenoaks Kaleidoscope Gallery, Sevenoaks
- 2013: 20 Squared, Gallery TS1, Middlesborough
- 2013: Come As You Go, Crate Studio and Project Space, Margate
- 2012: Leytonstone Arts Trail, Red Lion Pub, Leytonstone
- 2012: Fringe Arts Bath, Stall Street, Bath
- 2012: Inclusions, The Stone Space, Leytonstone
- 2011: Meeting Room, Sevenoaks Kaleidoscope Gallery, Sevenoaks
- 2011: Exhibition Beta, Sevenoaks Kaleidoscope Gallery, Sevenoaks
- 2012: The Voyagers (2 collective pieces: boats of remembrance and boat quilt), Bronze Age Boat Gallery, Dover Museum, Dover
- 2012: One day intervention in the Kent Cultural Baton, Whitstable Satellite, Whitstable
- 2016: a-n artists newsletter professional development bursary
- 2013: Interview with Gary Shiply, Script Journal http://scriptjr.nl, http://scriptjr.nl/interviews/clare-smith-interview#.UUbRAaUz2xp
Director of Dover Arts Development: www.dadonline.eu