Alistair Woods (b. 1991) is one of the co-founders of Manchester based Depot Art Studios, educated in Leeds graduating from Leeds Met in 2013.
Focusing mainly on painting, producing minimal abstract works using a combination of materials and a variety of different types of paint creating separate dialogues about process and equality, these works often reference found compositions as well as interests outside of art, such as politics, British sitcoms and underground subcultures. Within the work there is an attempt to try and see the beauty in what’s overlooked by many in the environment we find ourselves in, poorly executed advertising that usually incorporates some element of appropriation or the remnants of some tape of the back of a telephone box as examples.
The aim is to represent this in a painterly form in an attempt to aesthetically draw the viewer in, whilst the references allows the work to become a lot more relatable to viewers who perhaps aren’t interested in art as the work draws inspiration directly from everyday life.
CV & Education
- Farnham University of Creative Arts. Diploma In Foundation Art & Design.
- Leeds Metropolitan University. BA Fine Art Degree.
Depot Art Studios:
In January 2016 I co-founded Manchester based Depot Art Studios.
- WCAF Open 2020. Warrington Museum & Art Gallery. (Warrington) 2020.
- Much too Shy. Air Gallery. (Altrincham) 2020.
- Operation Impact Regulations. PS Mirabel. (Manchester) 2019.
- Air Open. Air Gallery. (Altrincham) 2019.
- Depot Art Studios at Old Bank NOMA. Old Bank NOMA. (Manchester) 2019.
- Paint. PS Mirabel. (Manchester) 2019.
- AA2A Project. Staffordshire University. (Stoke On Trent) 2019.
- A New Dialogue. Gallery Frank. (Rochdale) 2018.
- Furnished Archipelago. Paradise Works. (Salford) 2018.
- Chromophobia. Sloe Gallery. (Manchester) 2018.
- Co-curated, II. A Tale of Two Cities. (Manchester to Leeds). Depot. (Manchester) 2018.
- Curated, I. A City of Two Tales. (Leeds to Manchester). Depot. (Manchester) 2018.
- Tipping The Scales. Paradise Works. (Salford) 2018.
- Cass Art Festival. The Oxo Tower. (London) 2017.
- Sluice Art Biennial. (London) 2017.
- On-Going. Sloe Gallery. (Manchester) 2017.
- Satellite. Cass Art Space. (Manchester) 2017.
- Open Depot. Depot. (Manchester) 2017.
- Blend. Local Creation. (Altrincham) 2016.
- 8 Easels. (Solo exhibition) Sadler’s Yard. (Manchester) 2016.
- Common Denominator. (Solo exhibition) Victoria Station Gallery. (Manchester) 2016.
- The Greater Manchester Emerging Contemporary Arts Prize Summer Exhibition. Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce. (Manchester) 2016.
- Open Depot. Depot. (Manchester) 2016.
- A Childs Christmas In Wales. Oriel Wrecsam. (Wrexham) 2014.
- Subjected To Change. Basement Arts. (Leeds) 2014. (2 week residency and solo show, supported using public funding by 'Arts Council England' and 'Leeds Art Collections Fund')
- Christmas Exhibition. Harvey Gallery. (Guildford) 2013.
- Northern Graduates exhibition. The Curwen Gallery. (London) 2013.
- Leeds Metropolitan University Degree Show. Broadcasting Place. (Leeds) 2013.
- Divided We Fall. Basement Arts. (Leeds) 2013.
- Man Alive! Unit 12, Melbourne Street. (Leeds) 2012.
- Divided We Fall. Basement Arts. (Leeds) 2012.
- Adorn. Enjoy. (Leeds) 2012.
- Red Light. Enjoy. (Leeds) 2012.
- Flash Show. Broadcasting place. (Leeds) 2011.