Alistair Woods (b. 1991) is one of the co-founders of Manchester based Depot Art Studios, educated in Leeds graduating from Leeds Met in 2013.
Focusing mainly on painting, producing minimal abstract works using a combination of materials and a variety of different types of paint creating separate dialogues about process and equality, these works often reference found compositions as well as interests outside of art, such as politics, British sitcoms and underground subcultures. Within the work there is an attempt to try and see the beauty in what’s overlooked by many in the environment we find ourselves in, poorly executed advertising that usually incorporates some element of appropriation or the remnants of some tape of the back of a telephone box as examples.
The aim is to represent this in a painterly form in an attempt to aesthetically draw the viewer in, whilst the references allows the work to become a lot more relatable to viewers who perhaps aren’t interested in art as the work draws inspiration directly from everyday life.
CV & Education
- Farnham University of Creative Arts. Diploma In Foundation Art & Design.
- Leeds Metropolitan University. BA Fine Art Degree.
Depot Art Studios:
In January 2016 I co-founded Manchester based Depot Art Studios.
- Flash Show. Broadcasting place. (Leeds) 2011.
- Red Light. Enjoy. (Leeds) 2012.
- Adorn. Enjoy. (Leeds) 2012.
- Divided We Fall. Basement Arts. (Leeds) 2012.
- Man Alive! Unit 12, Melbourne Street. (Leeds) 2012.
- Divided We Fall. Basement Arts. (Leeds) 2013.
- Leeds Metropolitan University Degree Show. Broadcasting Place. (Leeds) 2013.
- Northern Graduates exhibition. The Curwen Gallery. (London) 2013.
- Christmas Exhibition. Harvey Gallery. (Guildford) 2013.
- Subjected To Change. Basement Arts. (Leeds) 2014. (2 week residency and solo show, supported using public funding by 'Arts Council England' and 'Leeds Art Collections Fund')
- A Childs Christmas In Wales. Oriel Wrecsam. (Wrexham) 2014.
- Open Depot. Depot. (Manchester) 2016.
- The Greater Manchester Emerging Contemporary Arts Prize Summer Exhibition. Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce. (Manchester) 2016.
- Common Denominator. (Solo exhibition) Victoria Station Gallery. (Manchester) 2016.
- 8 Easels. (Solo exhibition) Sadler’s Yard. (Manchester) 2016.
- Blend. Local Creation. (Altrincham) 2016.
- Open Depot. Depot. (Manchester) 2017.
- Satellite. Cass Art Space. (Manchester) 2017.
- On-Going. Sloe Gallery. (Manchester) 2017.
- Sluice Art Biennial. (London) 2017.
- Cass Art Festival. The Oxo Tower. (London) 2017.
- Tipping The Scales. Paradise Works. (Salford) 2018.
- Curated, I. A City of Two Tales. (Leeds to Manchester). Depot. (Manchester) 2018.
- Co-curated, II. A Tale of Two Cities. (Manchester to Leeds). Depot. (Manchester) 2018.
- Chromophobia. Sloe Gallery. (Manchester) 2018.
- Furnished Archipelago. Paradise Works. (Salford) 2018.