My art practice deals with the phenomena of light and takes the form of sculpture, installation, print, performance, video and photography. I experiment sculpturally with the physical properties of light and I am fascinated with the interplay between light, lenses and mirrors. I engineer mechanisms and structures that function as ‘machines’ for creating light projections, through which I explore manifestations of movement, light and shadow.
My most recent body of work titled In Light of the Truth examines physical reality, our consciousness and the fragility of perception. In this work I have been considering concepts that are increasingly relevant to our modern ‘mediated’ world, in which it can often be difficult to decipher what is real and what is not. I am influenced by both the physics of optics and philosophical theory, particularly Plato’s Allegory of the Cave, through which I am currently exploring notions of ‘truth’ via the transformative and metaphorical potential of light. In my studio practice I playfully experiment with ideas of duality, exploring parallels between light and shadow, visibility and invisibility, interior and exterior, reality and illusion. I aim to manipulate the viewer’s experience of light, to play with perception and one’s feelings of self.
CV & Education
2016 – 2019 BA Hons Fine Art, Ulster University, Belfast School of Art – First Class Honours
Current and Upcoming:
- July/August 2019 - Next Generation, Group Exhibition, Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios, Belfast
- September 2019 - Group Exhibition, ArtisAnn Gallery, Belfast
- October 2019 - Royal Ulster Academy Annual Exhibition, Invited Artist, Ulster Museum, Belfast
- February 2020 - Group Exhibition, Queens Street Studios, Belfast
- July 2019 - Woon Foundation Sculpture and Painting Prize 2019, Shortlised Group Exhibition, Gallery North, Northumbria University, Newcastle Upon Tyne
- June 2019 - Degree Show, University of Ulster, Belfast School of Art
- May 2019 - In Orbit, Group Exhibition, Catalyst Arts, Belfast
- January 2018 - 66% There, Group Exhibition, Catalyst Arts, Belfast Go Beyond Art in conjunction with Household Collective, group exhibition as a result of a 3 month collaboration, Areas of Sailortown, Belfast
- April 2017 - Exquisite Corpse, collaborative group project and exhibition, Goose Lane Gallery, Belfast
Awards and Achievements
- Shortlisted artist for The Woon Foundation Sculpture and Painting Prize 2019