Join the Board of Trustees
Axisweb is an independent charity and seeks to appoint three (3) new Trustees - Artist, Commissioner and Digital.
Axisweb is in a unique situation. In the last three years Axisweb has reinvented itself as an innovative, disruptive and financially self-sustaining digital platform for visual artists.
As a Trustee, you will be part of an exciting journey to create new digital first models supporting and enabling exchange with artists to help sustain their work. We recognise to support artists to thrive we need to contribute to the wider cultural debate regionally, nationally and internationally.
The Board of Trustees play a public role helping to communicate the case around the role and value of artists, underpinned by a transformative programme based on innovation, learning, data and collaborations.
We welcome candidates from diverse backgrounds who can apply their experience to the role and meet the skills we seek.
Our Ideal Trustee
You will be ambitious for the organisation, exhibit an understanding of the contribution artists make to society and share our determination to support a more widely engaged and diverse community of artists, commissioners and audiences.
We are seeking three (3) Trustees with expertise in one of the following areas:
*To enable self-employed artists to actively participate as a Trustee, we will offer remuneration equivalent to £200 per day.
This is not an exhaustive list and we are interested in hearing from anyone who believes they have skills and experience to enable them to contribute.
In addition all Trustees of Axisweb are expected to demonstrate:
- Strategic skills, including an ability to analyse complex issues, maintain independence of view and to guide and facilitate the resolution of complex debates.
- Influencing and communication skills, including an ability to develop relationships quickly and maintain/sustain them when dealing with disparate views and agendas, communicating clearly and effectively to a wide range of audiences to gain engagement and buy-in.
- Adaptability and pragmatism, including an ability to adapt quickly to changing circumstances, and be comfortable with ambiguity and uncertainty.
- Team working and collaboration skills, including strong focus, perceptiveness and sensitivity to people issues, to solve collective problems.
- Pro-active and results orientated, including an energy, drive and resilience to continue to move forward to achieve planned goals, while ensuring everyone is on board.
The Role of the Board
The role of the Board of Trustees is to:
- Determine policy and establish the overall strategic direction;
- Oversee the delivery by monitoring performance against objectives and targets;
- To ensure the effective and efficient administration of the charity’s affairs;
- Where appropriate, represent Axisweb externally;
- To use the combined expertise of Trustees to advise and support Axisweb.
- A Trustee should have commitment to its objectives and values, and be willing to champion Axisweb.
A Trustee must participate in the Board’s decision making processes, including preparation for, and attendance at, meetings of the Board.
A Trustee should be prepared to work with the Executive Director and Axisweb staff to facilitate a free exchange of advice.
A Trustee must be prepared to declare and actively manage any matter arising in which the Trustee has an interest which might be perceived to conflict with those of Axisweb. To this end, Trustees are required to complete and submit a declaration of interests on appointment and thereafter annually.
The law places certain restrictions on becoming a charity Trustee. These are set out in Section 3.1 of the Charity Commission Essential Trustee Guidance.
Trustees are required to understand and embrace the seven principles of public life as defined by the Nolan Committee: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership.
The role would involve attending four half day Board meetings per annum. Board meetings are generally held in Wakefield, West Yorkshire. We welcome applications from individuals across the UK.
The role may also involve attending Axisweb events and other engagements where appropriate. Some additional time to review papers and provide ad hoc advice will be required as necessary.
This is an unpaid role. Axisweb will reimburse reasonable travel expenses to meetings in full.
To enable self-employed artists to actively participate as a Trustee, we will offer remuneration equivalent to £200 per day.
The likely total time commitment is the equivalent of half a day per month.
How to Apply
To apply, please send:
- A letter of application of not more that two sides of A4, highlighting which Trustee role you are applying for and setting out how you meet the criteria.
- A CV of no more than two sides of A4.
- The Conflicts of interest form
- The Equal Opportunities questionnaire. This form will be kept separately from your application and will not be seen by the selection panel.
Complete applications should be sent to:
email@example.com Please put ‘Axisweb - Trustee Application 2018’ in the subject title.
The deadline for applications is 3 December 2018
Interviews will take place between 10 December 2018 and 25 January 2019.
Further Information and Questions
If you would like an informal discussion about this role please contact Mark Smith, Executive Director by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 01924 200502.
Charity Commission – Charity Governance Code
Charity Commission - The Essential Trustee