Matt Rowe is based in Folkestone, South East
Matt Rowe's practice is focused on vernacular symbols, language and folklore.
He often combines various disciplines, ceramics, model making and textiles to produce sculptural costumes, props that play with notions of regional and local identity. He uses his costumes and props as a means to create unexpected structures in the landscape that echo with associations of storybook narratives and ancient legends.
Qualifications and training
- 2004 MA Ceramics, UWIC, Cardiff
- 2002 BA Ceramics and Glass, BCUC, High wycombe
- 2005 Club Shepway, Multiple sites, Folkestone
- 2012 59.14 N 3.34 W, Curated by Laura Mansfield The Erlend Williamson Art Fellowship with support from The Orkney Cultural Fund, 59.14 N 3.34 W, The Brough of Birsay, Orkney
- 2011 Folkestone Triennial artist in residence, Folkestone Triennial, Folkestone
- 2010 'landscapes, city and people' Matt Rowe and Mathilde Lavenne, La Malterie, Lille
- 2012 Vernacular Folk, Curated by Club Shepway, mulipule sites, Folkestone
Axis pages last updated 29/11/2012