Martin Griffiths is based in Anderby Creek, East Midlands
I develop light sculptures and installations which channel natural light into light-lines so bright they look electrically sourced. Their purpose is to give experiences on the body's subtle axes and connect audiences to the unseen energy of nature. Fabricated in light-sensitive materials, they often use strong colour and generate optical contradictions from absorbed, transmitted and reflected light.
Qualifications and training
- 1978 BA (Hons) Fine Art, Gloucestershire College of Art and Design, Cheltenham
- 2012 London Bridge City Sculpture Exhibition, Thames South Bank, London
- 2011 First Light On Tour, sculpture touring project, East Midlands Cultural Olympiad, Lincolnshire
- 2011 First Light, light sculpture installation, Lincoln Cathedral, Lincoln
Competitions, prizes and awards
- 2011 Igniting Ambition Festival 2011 award, East Midlands Cultural Olympiad, Nottingham
- 2010 Grants for the Arts award, First Light, Arts Council England, East Midlands
- 2009 University of Hertfordshire Sculpture Prize, University of Hertfordshire Galleries, Hatfield House, Herts.
Axis pages last updated 25/09/2012