Matt Smith is based in Hove, South East
Using craft, with its connotations of amateur, accessibility and gender and exploiting its lowly status in the art world, I aim to unsettle the organisations and spaces which tell us ‘truths’: creating interventions in museums, galleries and stately homes.
The pieces both celebrate the mainstream and also unsettle it: taking objects from their intended roles and repurposing them.
Qualifications and training
- 2010 PhD in Queer Craft, University of Brighton, Brighton
- 2005 BA Hons Ceramics, University of Westminster (Harrow), London
- 2009 Co-Director, Unravelled, Brighton
- 2012 Other Stories, The Stanley and Audrey Burton Gallery, University of Leeds
- 2010 Queering the Museum, Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, Birmingham
- 2013 Subversive Design, Brighton Museum & Art Gallery, Brighton
- 2013 Unravelling The Vyne, The Vyne, National Trust, Basingstoke
Axis pages last updated 17/05/2013