Faye Chamberlain is a UK-based photographer who works across a broad range of styles, from fine art to documentary. Her body of work is at once immediate and vivid but also imbued with a profound humanism. My images centre on people, she reveals, exploring their relationships with both each other and their environment. Her social documentary photographs are an acute study of the minutiae of peoples behaviour, recording small, unconscious actions - these seemingly insignificant details providing a telling insight into the delicate fabric of societies. She applies the same theories to still life and landscapes. By using selective focus and through compositing several photographs together, she again draws the eye to detail, creating textural, sensual images.
Chamberlain uses traditional methods of photography but outputs digitally and is excited by the potential of new technology, currently experimenting with different techniques and new materials. In her ten years as a professional, she's been able to alternate between both personal projects and commissions, her work featuring in many exhibitions and installations.
Chamberlain's influences include the British people and the habits of the UK's diverse population. Artists who inspire her include Bernd and Hilla Becher, Mark Power, Martin parr, William Eggleston, Simon Norfolk & Tony Ray-Jones.
Chamberlain's career path begins with my degree at Staffordshire University, completed in 1996, through self employment, self-initiated and self funded projects, commissions and residencies including Arts Council of England, Norfolk & Norwich University Hospitals and Sheffield Museums. Aims for current projects include publication, exhibition and installation.
- 2003 Sundial Images, Whisby Nature Park, Thorpe on the Hill, Lincoln
- 2004 Foursite: Exhibition of the Barbky Fun Collective, Northampton University Gallery, Northampton
- 2004 Relay: The battle for a seat on a bench, Q Arts, Derby
- 2003 Sundial, Whisby Nature Park, Thorpe on the Hill, Lincoln
- 2003 Picture the Past, Warwick Museum St John's Market Place, Warwick
- 2001 Word Play, Q Arts, Derby
- 1999 Pitch, Zapp Gallery, Baker Street & Picture House Centre, London & Leicester
- 2010 No Place Like Home, Ffotogallery/ Tresillain House/ The Huggard, Tresillain House/ The Huggard, Cardiff
- 2005 Documentation of the rebuilding of Weston Park Museum, Sheffield Museums & Galleries, Weston Park Museum, Sheffield
- 2012 Dazzle Cardiff, Admiral Cardiff, Bridge Street Square, Cardiff
- 2006 Aura, Light installation to announce the site of the new Hepworth, Wakefield building, Wakefield Art Gallery & Public Arts Wakefield, Hepworth, Wakefield site
- 2005 Photographic artworks for the Nuclear Medicine Department, Norfolk & Norwich University Hospitals, Norfolk
- 2005 Arts & Health, Arts Council West Midlands, West Midlands
- 2005 Documentary photography & artworks, Hepworth Gallery site, Wakefield Art Gallery & Public Arts, Wakefield
- 2004 Big Vision: 25 years in the future, Big Pit, Blanaevon and other sites for Torfaen BC, Torfaen
- 2004 TRANSFORMATION, Public Art Leicester, LCB Depot, Leicester
- 2010 No Place Like Home Hardback book ISBN 978-1872771847