Walking in the British landscape begins a process of reflection which is then explored and transformed within the confines of the studio. There is a tension between the memory of the experience of landscape and the painting process itself which ebbs and flows and is the determinant of the work.
The chief influence has been the British tradition of landscape painting, particularly Turner, Constable and the St Ives School of Winifred and Ben Nicholson, Lanyon, Hilton. Also Hitchin, Heron and Hodgkin.
The completion of my MA in 2002 marked a significant development in my practice and I am still developing themes uncovered by it. My Professional Practice Doctorate, completed in 2008, is entitled 'Experiencing the land: transformation and revelation' and allowed me to explore in depth the philosophical and theoretical content of my work. In particular, Wittgenstein's concept of the 'unsayable' was a rich source of research. It allowed me to explore that part of our experience which language cannot name but which can, perhaps, be addressed in art. Some of the work from my Doctoral show is shown on my Artworks page.
Qualifications and training
- 2008 Professional Doctorate in Fine Art, University of East London, London
- 2002 MA in Fine Art, University of East London, London
- 2003 Sue Knight, Tugman Partnership, architects, Richmond upon Thames
- 2002 Sue Knight, Stables Gallery, Twickenham
- 1998 A Bigger Space, Stables Gallery, Twickenham
- 1991 Open Studios, Eel Pie Island, Twickenham, annual
- 2012 Teddington Artists' Summer Exhibition, National Physical Laboratory, Teddington, London.
- 2012 Teddington artists' summer show, National physical laboratory, Teddington
- 2011 Hugo Mumbles gallery, online, www.hugomumbles.com
- 2011 Open studios, Eel pie island, Twickenham
- 2010 The One Week Art Show, The Dark Horse Gallery, Mayfield, East Sussex
- 2009 Mixed Exhibition, Artwave West Gallery, Morecombelake, Dorset
- 2009 Fragile landscape, The Architect's Gallery, London (more info)
- 2009 Mixed show, The Architect's Gallery, London
- 2008 Eel Pie Island Open Studios, Eel Pie Island, Twickenham (more info)
- 2008 Professional Doctorate Showcase, University of East London, London
- 2008 Mixed show, Architect's Gallery, Teddington
- 2004 The Glass House, Hampton Hill, Middlesex
- 2003 Mixed Show, Avalon Gallery, Marazion, Cornwall
- 2002 MA Degree Show, University of East London, London
- 1999 Summer Exhibition, Ditchling Gallery, Ditchling