I am a sculptor primarily working in stone to create public art pieces as well as smaller works for private clients and residencies in schools. My work is nearly always site-specific and often, I will engage the public or schools in the creative thinking process when formulating ideas for a piece. Not only does this help in their understanding of the artwork, it also generates a far longer lasting respect for the piece which will prevent possible abuse in the future. I try to create tactile, eye catching artworks that engage the viewer on a number of levels.
The influences running through my work are quite varied though much inspiration has been taken from the natural world. Other influences have been the paintings of Henri Rouseau and the sculpture and lettering of Eric Gill as I appreciate many of the values of tradional stonework but try to incorporate them into my work in a more contemporary way. For the public realm, each sculpture is individually influenced by the environment and the people around where it is to be permanently sited.
Since graduating from Loughborough College of Art in 1995 I have been creating significant public art sculptures. Initially working alongside artists such as Richard Perry and David Haigh, I gained valuable experience. Since then I have created public art pieces all over Britain as well as carrying out numerous residences in schools and colleges. My first significant individual commission was for Astra Zenica Pharmaceuticals in Loughborough where I created "Cures", a 2 metre tall, hollow white limestone column with a spiralling inscription of more than 3000 carved letters. Since then, other major works have been an 8 tonne granite Millennium sundial in Leicestershire; four sculptural seats for New Walk in Leicester, an ancient walkway into the heart of the city and a 3 metre tall piece for Conwy Quay in North Wales which is a world heritage site. Recently I was very honoured to create a sculptural memorial to former England football manager Sir Bobby Robson, sited in the centre of Newcastle upon Tyne.
- 2002 Hampton Court Palace Flower Show
- 2002 Urban Gardens, London Olympia
- 2001 Hampton Court Palace Flower Show
- 2001 The Bow House Gallery, Barnet, Hertfordshire
- 2000 Garden Architecture, Fulham
- 1999 Artspace, Henley on Thames, Oxon
- 1999 Country Living Spring Fair, Business Design Centre, Islington
- 1999 Contemporary Art Auction, Nottingham Castle, Nottingham
- 1999 Hampton Court Palace Flower Show, London
- 1998 The Bow House Gallery, Barnet, Hertfordshire
- 1998 Nottingham City Arts Art Exchange, Nottinghamshire
- 1998 The Harley Gallery, Near Worksop, Nottinghamshire
- 1997 Derbyshire Royal Infirmary, Derby
- 1997 The Hurt Gallery, Wirksworth, Derbyshire