Michael Cousin is predominantly a moving-image artist, whose main concern is cultural scripting and the modification of canonical images, texts and documents.
The term has been adopted by film-makers to denote a new interpretation of an existing work by the restoration of previously removed material.
The term has been adopted by film-makers to denote a new interpretation of an existing work by destruction or removal of previously canonical material.
The term has been adopted by film-makers to denote a new interpretation of an existing work by the introduction of previously unrelated material.
Qualifications and training
- 1998 Fine Art, Masters Degree, University of Wales Institute, Cardiff
- 1996 Fine Art, BA (Hons), First Class, Southampton Institute of Art and Technology
- 2010 Freelance International Opportunities Researcher, a-n, Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- 2010 Freelance Projects Officer, g39, Cardiff
- 2007 Little Jewel Cinema, Sapphire Season, Waygood Gallery, Newcastle
- 2006 The Cleaner & the Sign, Biblioteca Tintal, Bogotá, Colombia
- 2005 Do The Little Things, Henry Thomas Gallery, Carmarthen
- 2012 Undercurrent, Tate Tanks, Tate Modern, London
- 2012 The Man Don’t Give A Fuck, Motorcade Flashparade, Bristol
- 2012 One Minutes Volume 5, The Directors Lounge, Berlin
- 2011 Le Jour le Plus Court, Gallery Good Friday, Paris
- 2011 Life with Edits, The Joinery, Dublin
- 2011 Kirkland's New Empire Bioscope, Empire Bioscope, Wolverhampton
- 2011 Rhodio, Pavilion 4AA 5XB Padiglione, Venice, Italy.
- 2010 Manchester Contemporary Art Fair, Mermaid & Monster, Manchester
- 2010 X-Space, Hubei Art Musuem, Wuhan, China.
- 2010 We Have the Mirrors, We have the Plans, Oriel Mostyn., Llandudno.
- 2010 Projeckt: Field Broadcast., Wysing Arts Centre, Cambridgeshire.
- 2010 One Minutes Volume 4, Various, London.
- 2009 The Space Between Surrounds Our Desire, The Event, Birmingham.
- 2009 Host 9:Otherliness, Vane, Newcastle
- 2009 Sale, Royal Standard, Liverpool
- 2008 Rotate (curated by Mermaid and Monster), Contemporary Art Society, London
- 2008 If You Build It They Will Come, g39 10th Anniversary Show, Cardiff
- 2011 Portmanteau, g39 / Halle 14, Leipzig, Germany
- 2011 Tales from the North, Photon Gallery, Ljubljana, Slovenia
- 2010 Show One Of Each: Pascal-Michel Dubois, g39, Cardiff
- 2010 Unassembed Information: Towards an archive, g39, Cardiff
- 2009 Richard Bevan, g39, Cardiff.
- 2011 David Soul Looks at Cardiff, Safle, Cardiff
- 2009 The Artist - Object Project, National Museum of Wales / Brecknock Musuem, Cardiff / Brecon
- 2006 Re:Generation, Barking and Dagenham Borough Council, Barking
Competitions, prizes and awards
- 2012 The National Eisteddfod 2012, Vale of Glamorgan, Highly commended
- 2009 Creative Wales Ambassador Award, Arts Council of Wales, Cardiff / London
- 2007 Major Creative Wales Award Winner, Funded by The Arts Council of Wales, Cardiff
Web links - gallery/work/projects