Lately my activity has involved selecting and processing fragmentary images from multiple sources, and most particularly those related to our engagement with the virtual world of the internet. Throughout previous work there has been a dominant theme of the layering of imaginary visions onto elements of perceived reality. However, newer ideas have perhaps moved further towards recognition and exploration of the idea of sensory overload. Some of latest pieces involve the appearance of motifs derived from 'emoticons' commonly used in email exchanges. They are currently being used as 'vessels' for the containment of themes related to, or in contrast or conflict with the background image, and paintings are being arranged in formats which are derived from computer screen window layout. In recent weeks the the confines of the traditional rectangular surface format has been fractured in favour of smaller 'components' which can be freely arranged across a supporting surface. Much of the content of these is based upon visual and other material received via the web in various contexts, but is not confined to these sources. Such ideas are also being realised by means of film/animation.
In the past I have drawn onto large-scale photographs and animated some of these directly, to extend possibilities for sequential narrative. Some earlier work has been related to the effects of war/conflict. This has not been consciously maintained as a guiding force, but appeared more as a result of being subject to media influences. An earlier film (Crisium) completed in autumn 2003 was based on the idea of earthly visions animated against a lunar landscape, for which resources included appropriated images from historic engravings and also from the news.
Previously I painted in a roughly Expressive/Surrealist style and frequently made narrative, allegorical works with mythical references and some images appropriated from ancient art.
Traditional European figurative painting (particularly landscape), Ukiyo-E prints, other prehistoric and multicultural art, contemporary film and photography, avant-garde film, animation, painting, drawing, computers, the internet, multimedia, life in general both on my doorstep and the furthest reaches of the known world!
I have set up and run art clubs for children and young people at Spacex Gallery, Exeter, since 1992, and have also led workshops at other venues such as the Royal Memorial Museum, Exeter, CCANW, Plymouth Arts Centre, and Thelma Hulbert Gallery. My role at Plymouth University has been Associate Lecturer in Fine Art since 2005, and visiting lecturer there from 1992 (also in illustration 2003-6).
Additionally, I taught History of Art at Exeter School from 2003-2006, and have run animation workshops for 'Animated Exeter' and related events from 1999 to 2009 in various schools and institutions, and helped to create short animated film with young people shown at First Light, Young Co-Operative Filmmakers and other events.
- 2012 SAW Open Studios, SAW, Goldfinch Place, Crewkerne, TA18 7AG
- 2005 Film still drawings, The Picture House, Exeter (more info)
- 1996 Plymouth Arts Centre, Devon
- 1989 Royal Albert Memorial Museum, Exeter, Devon
- 2012 Wheels of Wonder, Visual Art Centre, Lincolnshire
- 2009 film screening, Spacex Gallery, Exeter
- 2007 Experimental Film and Video Festival 700is, ASU Alsager Gallery, Manchester Metropolitan University (more info)
- 2007 film screening, 700is Experimental Film Festival, Egilsstadir, Iceland
- 2006 Drawing Losing Your Mind (Saison Video), LAAC, Dunkerque
- 2005 Hull International Film Festival, outdoor venue, Hull (more info)
- 2005 Start Moving Image Festival, Plymouth Arts Centre, Plymouth
- 2004 Homeland, Spacex Gallery, Exeter (more info)
- 2002 Drawn Conclusions, Plymouth City Museum and Art Gallery, Plymouth
- 1999 Spacex Gallery, Exeter
- 1993 Compendia, small works by invited artists, Spacex Gallery, Exeter
- 1992 Breakthrough, Victoria Art Gallery, Bath
- 1992 News, women artists from the south-west, Spacex, touring to Truro
- 1991 Four painters, Austin Desmond Fine Art, Huxham, Devon
- 1990 Austin Desmond Christmas show, Huxham, Devon
- 2002 Super 8Station, Station, Bristol
- 2008 B-Side 3 minute films by 4 artists, PVA Medialab, Bridport Dorset
- 2004 Residency during William Kentridge exhibition, Spacex Gallery, Exeter
- 2007 7001S, Film Festival, Eglisstadir (more info)