As a landscape photographer based in Glastonbury I tend to look for subject matter that eschews traditional ideas around what constitutes a worthwhile landscape photograph. I am attracted to liminal zones that lie somewhere between notions of urban and rural or vernacular architecture that has a short shelf life before social or technological change wipes it from the landscape - consigning it to a largely forgotten past.
Inspired by the work of Ed Ruscha I have recently been photographing rural petrol garages that were once ubiquitous in the British landscape but not appreciated in the same way as some of their American counterparts - regarded as necessary eyesores rather than an inherent part of car culture. The portfolio consists of twenty six filling stations, photographed in the south west of England and south Wales, that are all independent of the supermarkets that now dominate fuel sales.
Change is one element of my work which tends to draw me towards a landscape that isn't easily categorised. A landscape of buddliea, unamed ponds, business parks, industrial estates, retail parks and inhospitable road networks. World events and hysteria over security in our city centres has pushed photographers to the margins whilst the worn out hackneyed imagery of rural England is a natural counterpoint to my work.
Paul Graham, Lewis Baltz, Lee Friedlander, John Davies, John Gossage, Gabriele Basilico, Jeff Brouws, Ed Ruscha, Stephen Shore.
1994 Cert Ed, SCAT, Taunton, Somerset 1990 HND, Documentary Photography, Gwent College, Newport, Gwent
Current and forthcoming events
- September 2013: Not 24 Hours, The Wharf Arts centre, Tavistock (more info)
- 2009 End of the Line, Plough Arts Centre,, Torrington
- 2005 Stop Lines, Phoenix Arts and Media, Exeter
- 1999 Yeovil Arts Centre
- 1998 Torbay Hospital
- 1997 Admiral Blake Museum, Bridgwater
- 1995 Derby Photography Festival
- 1994 Islington Arts Factory
- 1994 Bridport Arts Centre
- 1993 The Watershed, Bristol
- 1992 F Stop Gallery, Bath
- 1991 Brewhouse Theatre, Taunton
- 2007 Photography Show, Loplop Gallery, Poole
- 2002 Grain, Phoenix Gallery, Brighton
- 1999 Carnival, Meeting House, Ilminster
- 1995 Brymon Airways and South West Arts, touring Bristol, Plymouth and Newquay airports
- 1991 Photography Newport, RPS, Bath
- 1989 Somerset through Time, Rural Tour, Somerset
Competitions, prizes and awards
- 1995 South West Arts Project Award, South West Arts, Exeter
Educational experience - tertiary
- 1993 Part time lecturer, Somerset College of Art and Technology, Taunton