Living in a rural area for most of my life, nature's forms and colours have always been the main influence on my work, though it is not always revealed in an obvious manner. Along side making abstract and representational works the actual process of making is very important to me, and therefore continuously drives me towards pushing the boundaries of my practice. Solitude from living in a remote area of mid Wales has enabled me to concentrate on developing my work through ongoing exploration and experimentation using a wide range of materials including; oils, acrylics, pastels, glass and found objects.
Current and forthcoming events
- May - June 2013: Palace Art Fest, The Bishops Palace, Hereford (more info)
Qualifications and training
- 2005 Teaching Certificate, University of Wales, Newport, Gwent.
- 1995 Postgraduate Diploma in Studio Studies, University of Wales, Aberystwyth, Dyfed.
- 1984 Diploma in Textile Design: Pass with credit, Derby Lonsdale College H.E., Derbyshire.
- 2005 Part-time Lecturer, Drawing and Painting, Coleg Powys, Newtown, Powys.
- 2005 Part-time Home Tutor, Art, Design & Textiles, Peoples Services, Powys County Council., Powys.
- 2003 Part-time Lecturer, Sensory Art, Coleg Powys, Newtown, Powys.
- 2002 Part-time Lecturer in Creative Communication, Coleg Powys, Newtown, Powys.
- 1984 Senior colourist, dresswear prints, Textile Design Studio, Laura Ashley, Carno, Powys.
- 2009 Look just Look, Art By the Yard, Great Oak Cafe, Llanidloes, Powys.
- 2002 Synthesis, Great Oak Cafe, Llanidloes, Powys.
- 1996 Reflect, The Elan Valley Hotel, Rhayader, Powys.
- 2012 Nature and the Human Spirit, The Old School House, The Bleddfa Centre, nr Knighton, Powys
- 2012 Above Beneath Beyond #II, The Andrew Lamont Gallery, Theatr Brycheiniog, Brecon, Powys
- 2012 Majestic Moths, An Acre of Art, Wigmore, North Herefordshire
- 2011 POWYS ARTS MONTH, Mid Wales Arts Centre, Maesmawr, Caersws, Powys.
- 2011 Nature, Open Studio/Gallery, Corner Cottage Old Wood, Tenbury Wells, Worcestershire.
- 2011 1+1= Sue Purcell & Kathleen Packwood with guest artist Terri Sweeney, Mid Wales Arts Centre, Maesmawr, Caersws, Powys.
- 2010 Contemporary Art for Christmas, Lloyd Gill Gallery, Weston-Super-Mare, Somerset.
- 2010 Powys for Christmas, Wyeside Arts Centre, Builth Wells, Powys.
- 2010 Palace Art Fair, Fulham Palace, London.
- 2010 Green Fair, Bailey Room, Llanidloes, Powys.
- 2010 Above Beneath Beyond, Atrium Gallery Nature in Art, Twigworth, Gloucester.
- 2008 Green Fair, Minerva Arts Centre, Llanidloes, Powys.
- 2007 Green Fair, Minerva Arts Centre, Llanidloes, Powys.
- 2006 Reds on the Bed, Minerva Arts Centre, Llanidloes, Powys.
- 2005 Inspired by Nature, CARAD, Rhayader, Powys.
- 2002 Gallery Section, Wales Fair, Royal Welsh Showground, Builth Wells, Powys.
- 2001 Gallery Section, Wales Art and Gift Fair, Royal Welsh Showground, Builth Wells, Powys.
- 1999 Different Aspects, Cornerhouse Gallery, Old Wood, Tenbury Wells, Worcester.
- 1998 Different Aspects, Gateway Galleries, Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
- 1997 Wildlife Art Auction, Christie's, London.
- 1996 Sue Purcell And Kathleen Packwood, Theatr Hafren, Newtown, Powys.
- 1995 Fecit, Pinxit, Impressit, The School of Art, Aberystwyth, Dyfed.
- 1995 Borderlands, Bleddfa Trust Gallery, Bleddfa, Powys.
- 1995 On The Surface, Oriel Myrddin, Carmarthen, Dyfed.
- 1994 Fresh Art, Business Design Centre, London.
- 1994 When Words Fail, The Deffett Francis Gallery, Swansea, Glamorganshire.
- 1993 Nature In Art, The International Centre For Wildlife Art, Twigworth, Gloucestershire.
- 1990 to date: Visual arts: Art and Design - Painting, Drawing, Printmaking, Graphics, Textiles, various organisations and art centres, England and Wales.
- 2012 'Majestic Moths', An Acre of Art, Wigmore, North Herefordshire.
- 2011 Delights of Drawing, Railway Carriage, Llandeilo Graban, Builth Wells, Powys.
- 2010 Above Beneath Beyond, Atrium, Nature in Art, Wallsworth Hall, Twigworth, Gloucestershire.
- 1995 Fly Fishing Feathers, Nature in Art, Wallsworth Hall, Twigworth, Gloucestershire.
- 2010 Homage to Sun Ra, Painting in and around found glass medicine cabinet, Pembrokeshire.
- 2005 Interior textile decor, WOMAD, Reading.
- 1982 Designed and screen printed altar frontal, runner and chalice cover. Other designer wove a collection of stoles to colour co-ordinate with my designs, Morley Retreat and Conference Centre, Derbyshire.
- 2008 Leaping Salmon, Outdoor Mosaic, Llani Ltd., Severn Porte Park, Llanidloes, Powys.
- 2008 Project Manager, Public art works, Compton's Yard Trust, Llanidloes, Powys. Street art: Skate Park, Willow Sculpture: Victoria Park, Carved Gate: Compton's Yard Trust Garden.
Competitions, prizes and awards
- 2001 Award: to produce new works, Oppenheim, John Downs Trust Award, London.