My work focuses on human nature, in particular group dynamics and social isolation. I am interested in the many facets of human behaviour - from the kindest of gestures to more sinister actions and Machiavellian treachery. As well as depicting dramas I also create tiny tales of growing and crumbling relationships using “anthropomorphic beings”, often set in an imaginary landscape.
The fantastical landscapes are inspired by formal public gardens like the Italian Giardini di Boboli and the Arboretum in Nottingham. These spaces provide the perfect environment for games and interaction.
The cast have human like bodies but topped by heads from rabbits, foxes, donkeys and cows. Clusters of individuals and lone characters populate the scene where hierarchies, factions, prima donnas, leaders and minions coexist together: mirroring relationships in the workplace, the staffroom and the boardroom.
The source material is wide and varied – from Shakespeare to ‘East Enders’, the playground and family as well as history and politics. I create a central theme with a sideshow of characters with different agendas. The use of “anthropomorphic beings” depersonalises and allows for the exploration of tribal issues and identity.
The paintings appear at first to be naïve and child-like, but on closer inspection the ‘playground’ is much darker and sinister.
Whilst I have particular narratives in mind when creating the work, the stories are also deliberately ambiguous allowing the viewer to interpret the work for themselves.
Current and forthcoming events
- June 2013: The Mark, Harrington Mill Studios, Long Eaton (more info)
Qualifications and training
- 2007 MA Children's Book Illustration Major Project 91%, Anglian Ruskin University, Cambridge
- 1996 Certificate in Arts Practice, University of Derby, Derby
- 1995 Fine Art BA (Hons) 1st Class, Nottingham Trent University, Nottingham
- 2007 Manage Studios, Harrington Mill Studios, Long Eaton, Nottingham
- 2014 The Sideshow, Angear Centre, Lakeside arts Centre, nottingham
- 2012 Short Sharp Blow to the Head..., Trade gallery, Onethoresby Street, Nottingham
- 2010 Play Or Not to Play, Millgate Museum & Art Gallery, Newark, notts
- 2009 Play or Not to Play, DEDA, Derby
- 2009 Play, Harrington Mill Studios Exhibiton Space, Long Eaton, Nottingham
- 2007 Grace: Large Sequential Drawings, Frances Bardsley Visual Arts Centre, Brentwood Rd, Romford (more info)
- 2002 Extracting Anatomy, The Yard Gallery, Nottingham
- 2002 Royal College of Pathologists, London
- 2002 Unnatural Selection, Derby Museum and Art Gallery, Derby
- 1997 'Fragments in Time', Nottingham Castle Museum and Art Gallery
- 1995 Habitat, Nottingham, 'Home'
- 2013 The Mark, Harrington Mill Studios, Long Eaton, Nottingham NG10 4QE
- 2012 Derby City Open 2012, highly commended, Derby Museum & Art Gallery, Derby
- 2012 Nottingham Painting Now, Nottingham Museum & Art Gallery, Nottingham
- 2012 Nottingham Painting Now, Nottingham Museum & Art Gallery, Nottingham (more info)
- 2012 Games People Play, Quad, Derby, Derby DE1 3AS
- 2012 The Darkness Of Light, Heyri KeumSan Gallery, Heyri, Seoul
- 2012 Recollections, Embrace Arts, Leicester LE1 7HA
- 2011 'Through A Glass Lightly', GoCArtGallery, Visby, Sweden
- 2011 HMS @ Art On Armitage, Art On Armitage, Chicago, USA
- 2011 OPEM Open Exhibition, selected by Richard Wilson, Deanna Petherbridge, Alan Parker, The Collection, Lincoln, Danes Terrace, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, LN2 1LP
- 2010 Royal Academy Summer Show 2010, Royal Academy, London
- 2010 SUPERMARKET Art Fair, Kulturhuset, Stockholm, Sweden
- 2010 Louisa Harrison, Jackie Berridge, Penny Withers, Thoresby Gallery, Thorseby
- 2009 Cambridge School of Art Children's Book Illustrators, Exhibition Hall, Paju Book, Seoul, Korea
- 2007 MA Children's Book Illustration, Coningsby Gallery, Tottenham St, London
- 2002 Linking Rhythms, Angel Row Gallery, Nottingham
- 2011 Card Deal, Games People Play, Various, East Midlands / India
- 2010 At Play, South Hill Park, Bracknell, Berkshire
- 2011 Residency and Exhibition, Art On The Armitage, Art On The Armitage, Chicago
- 2005 Artist in Residence, The Frances Bardsley School, Romford, Essex
- 2011 The Art Collaborative: Messages Lost in Time, Collaboration, USA
Competitions, prizes and awards
- 2012 Nottingham Castle Annual Open 2012 prize winner, Nottingham Castle Museum and Art Gallery, Nottingham
- 2011 The Nottingham Castle Annual Open,prize winner, Nottingham Castle & Art Gallery, Nottingham
- 2011 SKETCH Drawing Prize 2011, Rabley Drawing Centre,, Marlborough Wiltshire
- 2010 AN Seasonal -Greeting Competition, A-N The Artist Information Company, First Floor, 7-15 Pink Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 5DW
- 2010 Nottinham Open 2010, Nottingham Castle & Art Gallery, Nottingham
- 2007 Dragon Prize Winner, Anglian Ruskin University, Cambridge
Educational experience - tertiary
- 2001 EMFEC CAAD Multimedia, Web Design, Photoshop, Animation, West Notts FE, Mansfield, Notts
- 2012 Nottingham Evening Post http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/Nightmare-ish-animal-magic/story-16688460-detail/story.html
- 2012 M/I/S/C Publication http://www.jackieberridge.co.uk/other/Berridge%20&%20Nilausen.pdf
- 2011 Arts Auction Pakistani Floods Appeal, DEDA,, Chapel Street, Derby, DE1 3GU