Antony Hall creates discrete objects that attempt to defy entropy, harnessing elements of
potential or kinetic energy and self-perpetuation. His work explores mechanical or fluid
motion as well as biological phenomenon such as the behavior of animals. These works
are often miniscule or apparently simple; yet invite closer observation revealing deeper
levels of complexity.
His working process involves locating and identifying behaviors and developing control
structures [devices & instruments] within which unique, specific phenomena can exist, for
example; ‘Coffee Vortex’ , or sustaining the the life of microorganisms in a droplet of
water ‘Pond Life’ . These works assimilate phenomena, which being susceptible to
change within themselves and the environment that directly surrounds them, require to be
nurtured. Through presenting active investigative processes, the work is a continuous play
on potential failure and possible solution, where failure is as important as resolution.
Science, microcosmos, insects, experimentation, projection, water, ecology, biology, botany, environment, magnification, hydrodynamics, fish, bio-acoustics, bio-electric, interfaces, digital technology.
Areas of work
Qualifications and training
- 2002 MA, Art as Environment
- 1999 BA Hons, Fine Art, 1st, University of Wales Institute Cardiff
- 2012 Enki Experiment 5, Kapellica Gallery, Ljubljana, Slovenia
- 2004 F L U I D, Mission Gallery, Swansea
- 2004 Performance - Owl Project, Garage festival, Stralsund, Germany
- 2013 Design Days Dubai, Gazelli Art House, Dubai Art Fair, Dubai
- 2012 A Matter of Feeling, Trondheim Biennale for Art and Technology, Kunstmuseum - Gråmølna, Norway.
- 2012 On The Move, Gazelli Art House, Dover St. London
- 2009 Interspiecies, A Foundation, London
- 2009 Interspecies,, Cornerhouse,, Manchester UK
- 2008 SPECTROPIA: ART+COMMUNICATION,, Riga,, Latvia.
- 2008 Dutch Electronic Art Festival,, V2,, Rotterdam, NL
- 2008 Piemonte Share Festival, (Owl Project), Torino Italy
- 2007 Into the woods, Digital well being Labs, (Owl Project), London
- 2007 "I RESIDENT", French institute,, Prauge, CZ.
- 2007 Bios04, CAAC Sevile,, Spain.
- 2005 Cargo Cult event, Owl Project, WORM, Rotterdam
- 2005 [Owl Project] Cargo Cult event, WORM, Rotterdam
- 2005 Sonic undergrowth, Cornerhouse, Manchester
- 2005 Ultrasound 2005, Owl Project performance, Media centre, Huddersfield
- 2005 Spike open, Spike Island, Bristol
- 2005 iLog - Owl project performance, Festival Emergencies, Paris
- 2005 AXIS, Backfabrik, Berlin
- 2002 Spacex, Exeter
- 2002 Presentness is Grace: Experiencing the Suspended Moment, Arnolfini, Bristol
- 2001 Station to Station, Spacex 2, Exeter
- 2011 Experimental sonification of the mercury beating heart, Welcome Trust, London
- 2008 COLLISION FESTIVAL:, Area 10 Project Space,, London.
- 2008 Tabletop experiments @, Big draw launch, UCL,, London
- 2008 Serpentine Gallery, Serpentine, London.
- 2007 Trondhiem electronic arts festival,, TECS (Owl Project), Trondhiem, Norway.
- 2008 Hybrid encounters,, Muffatwerk, munich, DE
- 2005 CARA/Arts Catalyst, Oakley School, Kent
- 2005 Sound Forms, Lead artist, Arts Catalyst, Heathbrook School, London
- 2006 Pepiniere programme, 3 month residence, ENSAD, Paris
- 2005 Alchemy - Research Artist, Manchester Natural History Museum, Manchester
- 2005 Symbiotica/Arts catalyst: Biotech/art workshop, Kings College, London
- 2012 ~Flow, Owl Project and Ed Carter,, Artists Taking The Lead, Newcastle Upon Tyne
- 2011 Physical Oscillators, Victoria Baths, Future Everything, Manchester
- 2007 Amplitude Modulation, FACT; Foundation for Art & Creative Technology,, Liverpool
- 2003 Immediate 3, Site Gallery, Sheffield
Competitions, prizes and awards
- 2005 Research and development grant, Arts Council of England, Manchester
- 2004 Research and development grant, ACE Northwest, Manchester