My work is an ongoing investigation into ways in which one can represent visually an aspect of a psychological condition, such as anxiety, melancholia, mourning, or the vanishing of the self as a form of loss or absence.
Recent work explores fairy tales as a symbolic dimension for the depiction of distressing states of mind and, in this context, how themes from literature, i.e. the journey, can be transposed into artistic imagery. In Jungian terms, the journey signified the unification of the conscious mind with its shadow side; the result would be a complete, rounded personality.
I am currently more interested in journeys without return, as might happen when the mind disintegrates into illness: nothing is found, but things are lost; the self, or the traveller, may be lost to others. I explore these questions through sculpture, photography and film.
The resulting work is often uncomfortable. It tells the story of a search with no conclusion. Thus, the narrative is broken, and the plot won't come together. Depending on the viewer, the work could be interpreted as the depiction of an internal condition, abstract fairy-tale-like, or unsettlingly surreal.
Qualifications and training
- 2012 Master of Fine Art, Bath Spa University, Bath
- 2008 BA Hons Fine Art, Dartington College of Arts, Dartington, Totnes
- 2010 If you go down to the woods, Torre Abbey, Devon, Torquay
- 2010 Show of wall based works, Exeter Phoenix, Exeter, Devon
- 2009 Solo exhibition, Birdwood House, Totnes, Devon
- 2013 Out of the Dark, 44AD, Bath
- 2013 Exeter Open Studios, EVA Studios, Exeter
- 2013 MAAD, Walcot Chapel, Bath
- 2012 Deck the Walls, 44AD, Bath
- 2012 Pop-up show, Eva Studios, Exeter
- 2012 MA exhibition, Bath School of Art and Design, Bath
- 2011 Filthy Bath, Lower Borough Walls, Bath