I am primarily engaged in making drawings which test the limits of visibility and material existence. My delicate and elusive drawings of garments ask: at what point does visibility disappear and drawing become immaterial? My practice reflects a fascination with the unseen, untouchable and unspoken in human encounters. The works seek to taunt or tease the viewer with an allure of intimacies offered, yet denied. Drawing is a means of exploring what it means to see, touch and feel experiences on the edge of our grasp.
Notebooks and fieldwork are an important element of my practice. Over the past three years I have been attempting to draw in different challenging environments, working alongside archaeologists, medical practitioners and conservators to see what the activity of drawing may share with these other practices that must negotiate the delicate to reveal the unseen.
An example of this is in recent work in response to visits to the dress collections at Kensington Palace, where I have been working with their curators to observe how intimate items of underwear are stored, handled and viewed. In the emerging work, the drawn mark manifests some of the curatorial concerns around these objects, specifically the potential for care and destruction latent in human touch. For instance some of these drawings are made in wax with the pressure of touch alone, so like the collections' objects, are sensitive to their environmental conditions. If they get too hot, or are exposed to too much sunlight, they will simply fade away.
Qualifications and training
- 2012 PhD Fine Art, Lancaster University, Lancaster
- 2007 MA Fine Art (distinction), Lancaster University
- 2009 Lecturer in Sculpture and Installation, Lancaster University, Lancaster
- 2013 Hidden Drawers, Kensington Palace, London
- 2012 Drawing the Delicate, Peter Scott Gallery, Lancaster
- 2010 Glimpses, Roadside Attractions Gallery, Toronto
- 2008 Godiva Chronicles, Glassbox Gallery, Coventry
- 2013 Surfaces in The Making, The Storey, Lancaster
- 2011 Sketch Drawing Prize 2011, Rabley Drawing Centre, Marlborough, UK
- 2010 The Moment of Privacy Has Passed, Usher Gallery, Lincoln
- 2010 Open Drawing, Centrespace Gallery, Bristol
- 2010 Paperworks 3, Bury Museum and Art Gallery, Bury, UK
- 2010 The Middle of Nowhere, Departure Gallery, London
- 2010 Here Today Gone Tomorrow, Fringe, Bath, UK
- 2010 Box of Desires, Centre for Recent Drawing, London
- 2009 The Art of Research, Taik, University of Art and Design, Helsinki, Finland
- 2009 A Things About Machines, Herbert Gallery, Coventry
- 2009 5th International Drawing Biennale, Melbourne, Australia and touring
- 2009 Unfolding, Chapel Gallery, Ormskirk, UK