I paint places, objects, or things that I would categorise somewhere between place and object. They are the starting point for a process of improvisation and meditation.
Subject matter comes to me slowly- I can't force it! Places I've walked by hundreds of times or a photo that I put aside years ago can suddenly make sense as part of my practice.
I work on board as it allows me to sand and scrape back paint. This has become an important part of my process, the marks made can inform or be incorporated into a new layer. Through each layer there is a dialogue between painting, the subject and myself. The finished painting with traces of preceding layers is a synthesis of ideas moving towards a representation of thought.
Qualifications and training
- 2003 BA Fine Art, University of Wales (Howard Gardens), Cardiff
- 2013 New Work, Tarpey Gallery, Castle Donnington
- 2013 Creekside Open Selected by Paul Noble, A.P.T Gallery, Deptford
- 2012 John Moores Painting Prize, Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool
- 2012 Y Lle Celf, Eisteddfod 2012, Vale of Glamorgan
- 2011 Nottingham Castle Open, Nottingham Castle, Nottingham
Competitions, prizes and awards
- 2012 East Midlands Open, Tarpey Gallery, Castle Donnington