The objects I am designing and making look familiar and usable in some way – and yet are not. Their features can trigger an association, a memory; of something you have used or seen before. My reference points are usually photographs – taken of things I see on the street - litter, recycling, abandoned furniture; or items in buildings connected to larger systems – switches, handles, thermostats.
Alongside this, I research existing domestic or industrial objects, such as soap dishes or shelving. All these references are then pulled together in a new prototype, hybrid object, using casting as the technique to reproduce large quantities of each item. The process of making is vital, as is excessive repetition. Although they appear identical, small differences in thickness or surface marks indicate each object as handcrafted, and not machine made – and this is essential to the work.
By working with minimal means – the objects made from one material ie plaster or resin, supported or carried by another different material ie fabric or rubber – many different meanings can exist within the work; a psychoanalytical reading alongside a comment on commercialisation. But fundamentally, it's about myself, being a maker, striving for perfection that is never satisfied.
Useless, beautiful objects of desire; neither functional nor purely ornament, they encompass much about craft, about time, and the ambiguity of things. They take their place in the world, relating to everyday life and the experiences of living today, in this time and place.
Qualifications and training
- 2012 MA Fine Art (distinction), Bath Spa School of Art and Design, Bath
- 1997 BA (Hons) Sculpture, Winchester School of Art, Winchester
- 2013 MA AD, Walcot Chapel, Bath
- 2012 Showcase in the City, Gracechurch Street, London
- 2012 This means something, This is important, The Parlour Showrooms, Bristol
- 2012 Mivart Raw*, Mivart Artist Studios, Bristol
- 2012 MA Show, Bath Spa School of Art and Design, Bath
- 2011 National Open Competition, Motorcade/Flashparade, Bristol
- 2010 Adam Reynolds Memorial Bursary Exhibition, Shape, London
- 2010 New Year, New Work, View Art Gallery, Bristol
- 2009 Exhibition 3, View Art Gallery, Bristol
- 2008 156th Autumn Exhibition, RWA, Bristol