I explore the absurd and how our acceptance of the relationship between what is and what is not shapes our understanding. Examining and subverting the context of images, the object and traditional sculptural display, I am interested in the conventions that relate to our understanding of physical objects and the virtual world.
Poking the nonsensical with the stick of reason, in order to raise a smile from the mundane, I walk backwards through time and put things away in a different order. In essence, as my work slowly reveals its many threads, obtained through appropriation and playful association, the elements through which it revolves are revealed: The Absurd, The Figure, Perception of Hierarchy, Gender, and Contradiction.
Qualifications and training
- 2011 MA Fine Art, Nottingham Trent University, Notts
- 2008 PGCE, Sheffield Hallam University, Sheffield
- 1998 PGDip History of Ceramics, Staffordshire University, Stoke-on-Trent
- 1992 HND Ceramics, NEWI Clwyd College of Art, Wrexham
- 2012 Scan It, Gallery40, Brighton
- 2012 "Six By Four", Motorcade/FlashParade, Bristol
- 2012 Mullitover, Artist Residence, Brighton
- 2011 MA Stars, Bonnington Gallery, Nottingham
- 2011 Off Beige exhibition, Beaconsfield Studios, Brighton
- 2011 Prism 10, Orchard Centre, Sheffield
- 1996 Fletcher Challenge, Ceramic Award, New Zealand
- 1996 Ceramic Contemporaries 2, V&A Museum, London
- 1993 Ceramic Contemporaries 1, V&A Museum, London
- 2013 Outrageously Pretentious: The Second Coming, Over + Out, Lincoln
- 2012 Outrageously Pretentious: A One Night Stand, Bloc Projects, Sheffield
- 2001 Ewen Henderson, Rufford Ceramic Centre, Notts
- 2012 Beacon Bi-Monthly, Beacon Arts, Lincolnshire
- 2012 With Humourous Intent, Oriel Mostyn, Llandudno
- 1999 Collection Identification, Rufford Ceramic Centre, Notts
- 1998 Collection Identification, Rufford Ceramic Centre, Notts
Educational experience - tertiary
- 1998 Lecturer (current position), North Nottinghamshire College, Worksop
- 2012 Paint Pant, Garageland 13
- 2009 "Towards an Identity", Earthmarque.
- 2009 Rocking the Boat, Ceramic Review
- 2001 'Ewen Henderson', An Essay.
- 2000 'Emma Rodgers' A Review, The Ceramic Planet.
- 2000 'Mavericks' (Garyson Perry, Geoff Fuller, Steve Keegan) The Ceramic Planet.
- 2000 'Minimal Objects', Crafts Magazine.
- 1999 'Pots From France', Ceramic Review
- 1995 Writer of Artists Profiles, Rufford Ceramic Centre Website
- 1995 'The Incoherent Ramblings of a Four Month Old Child', The Ceramic Planet