In my work I explore the transitional space between representation and abstraction. I'm interested in the expansion and compression of form, the diversion of a line, the spatial impressions of colour. Recently there have been many painters exploring the back and forth between abstraction and representation, and I see my own work in this context. I like the work to suggest places or situations, but at a remove, not settled, and still using paint in a very physical way that we respond to physically – the material, texture and scale of the painting.
I let the final state of the painting grow from many detours, dead ends and changes of direction. From all this I'm looking to uncover an image that seems like it has arrived from nowhere, a strange result I wasn’t expecting.
- 2012 Crash Open Salon 2012, Charlie Dutton Gallery, London
- 2012 National Open 2012, Motorcade/Flashparade, Bristol
- 2012 Ground Control, Elements Art Space, Bath
- 2012 John Moores Painting Prize 2012, Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool
- 2012 Exeter Contemporary Open 2012, Exeter Phoenix, Exeter
- 2012 Objects of Desire, The Searchers Contemporary, Centrespace Gallery, Bristol
- 2012 As little as it needs, as much as it can take, Motorcade/Flashparade, Bristol
- 2012 Other Worlds, The Story Museum, Oxford
- 2012 Six by Four, Motorcade/Flashparade, Bristol
- 2011 National Open Competition, Motorcade/Flashparade, Bristol
- 2011 Open Painting Competition, Motorcade/Flashparade, Bristol