You never see me from the place where I look at you? This 'steal' from Lacan underlies my work.
The world, fleeting and impermanent, is known to us both through sensation and through mental narrative. But sadly we can never see it from any perspective other than our own.
The human imperative to make meaning of all our experiences both enriches and constrains us. The world acting merely as a mirror to reflect our individual concerns.
The intention of my work is to explore the condition of being human and all its possible illustrated truths. My concerns are with perception and narrative.
Often starting from an existing image, I interrogate it through painting and repainting to reveal multiple meanings. My work with egg tempera on board enables me to create new meanings in addition to retaining earlier workings.
My aim is to communicate a sense of sadness and isolation that is the human condition. Whilst playfully illustrating our inability to ever experience the ever-shifting thing we call reality.
Through richness of image and surface I invite the viewer to knowingly experience how even pigment and support become mysteriously transformed through the human mind.
Qualifications and training
- 2010 BA Painting, West Wales School of the Arts, Carmarthen
- 2012 Good as Gold, Oriel Fach, Oriel Q, Narbeth SA67 7AS
- 2012 Wunderland, Tactilebosch, Cardiff
- 2012 New Graduates, Waterfront, Milford haven
- 2011 Winter Open, Oriel Q, Narbeth
- 2011 Of landscape, Picton Castle, Picton Castle, Pembs
- 2011 Wunderland, Tactile Bosch, Cardiff
- 2011 Refresh, Joanna Fields Gallery, Milford Haven
- 2010 Drawing Bienalle, Oriel Q, Narberth
- 2010 Free Range graduate Show, Trueman Brewery Brick Lane, London
- 2010 Summer open, Oriel Q, Narbeth