My work looks at materiality and our relationship to it. Making. Process. Weight, gravity, softness, volume, stiffness, cragginess, strange gloopiness. Pat, pat. Brsh, brsh. How materials behave, how we expect them to behave, how they expect us to behave.
Form often introduces a tension with materiality, whilst structure and surface debate their differences in public. Modernist aesthetic hangovers may be conjured up in the process, but this time not taking themselves too seriously.
The starting point can be an everyday material, a sidelined piece of consumable matter or something one would find in a builder's shop after unfruitfully raking through art shops. Any piece of material is loaded with expressive and revealing qualities; exploring them (or exploding them) gives me a chance to prod the world and maybe – if I'm lucky- find out something about it.
Qualifications and training
- 2012 Sculpture MA, Royal College of Art, London (2012-2014)
- 2011 Postgraduate Diploma in Fine Art (Distinction), Byam Shaw / Central St Martins, London
- 2009 Foundation in Fine Art (Distinction), Central St Martins, London
- 1994 BA Degree in Communication, Universitat Autonoma, Barcelona
- 2012 A Few Words In Material Nepali, Patan Museum, Kathmandu, Nepal
- 2012 Something Sweet, Something Tender, Studio 1.1 Gallery, London
- 2011 Pataphors, Islington Arts Factory, London
- 2010 Start Here, Victoria & Albert Museum, London
- 2010 Something, Rag Factory (Brick Lane), London
- 2012 International artist in residence, Kathmandu Contemporary Art Centre, Nepal