'Drawing and colour are not separate at all; in so far as you paint, you draw'
Throughout my work, whether it be painted or drawn, the most important aspect is the process of drawing itself. My interest lies not only in the initial drawing process but in methodical reduction. Through “removing” parts of a composition marks left behind are a key aspect of the finished piece. I try to work intuitively taking inspiration from the most ordinary of objects and attempting to create images of both high contrast and atmosphere.
As my work progresses I feel that the Painting process and the involvement of Drawing changes all the time. Whilst always intrinsic to the Painted solutions, I feel that the drawings themselves create their own conclusions. My ongoing relationship with mark-making informs the ambience I strive to create.
Qualifications and training
- 2010 Painting, Gray's School of Art, The Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen
- 2011 Re-collective - North East Open Studios, I Heart Art, The Galleria, Aberdeen
- 2011 Parallax 2, La Galleria, Royal Opera Arcade, London
- 2011 Guerilla Gallery, Tayside Recyclers, Dundee
- 2011 Recollective, The Belmont Picturehouse, Aberdeen
- 2010 G.H.A.T Graduate Show, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, Aberdeen
- 2010 Gray Area, Peacock Visual Arts, Aberdeen
- 2009 99, Bar 99, Aberdeen
- 2009 Artists at 5 Seatown, North East Open Studios, Gardenstown, Banff
- 2010 Gray's School of Art Degree Show, Gray's School of Art, The Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen