I make images with paint, collage, drawing and camera. Work is from observation, directly from life, from drawings, from photographs, from screen images. Self-portraiture is central, partly because I'm simply the observable human figure in what I paint but also, through performance, it allows me to trespass into the worlds of other women and, more particularly, men. Different realities can be combined in contemporary and subversive response to myth or bible story. My windscreen paintings are a response to landscape imperfectly perceived beyond the familiar cluttered foreground, smeared windscreen, and the indistinct self-portraiture of the rear-view mirror. I am fascinated that I can use drawing to respond democratically (denying hierarchy to contrasting subject matters) to the media's indiscriminate treatment of conflict, death, celebrity, pornography, triviality but, when such a topic touches me personally, it is important to me to see how this illusion of objectivity breaks down.
I like the way the varied size, shape, materials and styles of the works carry an autobiographical narrative reflecting how my life is lived through my work. The huge unstretched works are a consequence of having had the chance to work in open air Caribbean studios using travel-friendly acrylics. The larger oil paintings are evidence of time spent working and re-working in the studio.
Landscape format windscreen paintings show time spent working behind the wheel in car parks and laybys. Drawings of roadscapes, seated passengers, aeroplane food and wing-tips is time spent on the move. Other work that also uses line, very limited colour and sometimes fragments of text is a consequence of time spent in front of screens or in cafes, skimming through and drawing from well-thumbed newspapers and magazines.
Current and forthcoming events
- May 2013: SELF New £20,000 Self-Portrait Exhibition, Mall Galleries, London (more info)
- 2013 Tutor, Prince's Drawing School, London EC2
- 1997 Half Time Senior Lecturer (1997-2011), Cardiff Art School (UWIC), Cardiff, Wales
- 2012 'Overseas', Ezair Gallery, 905 Madison Avenue, New York, USA
- 2012 Cherry Pickles Artist in Residence Exhibition, Oriel-y-Parc, St Davids Pembrokeshire
- 2012 Cherry Pickles 'Heads and Tales', Kapil Jariwala, Camberwell (more info)
- 2011 Cherry Pickles: 'Wales and Beyond', Tenby Museum, Tenby, Pembrokeshire
- 2008 'Fast and Loose', Piano Nobile Gallery, Holland Park, London
- 2013 SELF £20000 Self-Portrait Prize Exhibition, Royal Portrait Society, Mall Galleries, London
- 2013 The Lynn Painter-Stainers Prize Exhibition, The Mall Galleries, London
- 2013 Cork Street Open, The Gallery, 28 Cork Street, London
- 2012 National Open Art Competition, Minerva Theatre and Prince's Foundation, Chichester and London
- 2012 Wales International Painting Prize: Through Tomorrow's Eyes, BEEP 2012, Volcano Theatre, High St, Swansea
- 2011 Ruth Borchard Self-Portrait Exhibition, Kings Place Gallery, Guardian/Observer Building, Kings Place, Kings Cross, London
- 2011 Curatorial Contrast 2, BayArt, Cardiff
- 2010 Welsh Painters (Co-curator and Exhibitor), The Welsh Office, Whitehall, London
- 2011 4-Dimensional Drawing intervention in 'Measure for Measure', Central Booking, Brooklyn, New York
Competitions, prizes and awards
- 2013 Prizewinner, Lynn Stainer-Painter Prize Exhibition, Mall Galleries, London
- 2011 Finalist in Ruth Borchard Self-Portrait Competition, Kings Place Gallery (Guardian Newspaper Building), Kings Cross, London