I am a practising artist, living and working in Hackney, London. I trained at Central Saint Martins School of Art and later graduated from the Royal Academy Schools. My experiences are gathered from living in Spain, France and Italy.
As an abstract painter, the concept behind my work portrays strong autobiographical elements that reflect and link directly to my emotional response with Nature and its quiet sense of the sacred. It is this quiet sense of the sacred that is the emotive link between that of my inner world and that of my outer world.
By that I attempt to unravel the experiences of the moment from both external and internal points of view.
This creative process incorporates a superstruture and the accidental potential that is fired up within it. This, combined with shifting picture plains as well as depiction of colour allows conscious as well as unconscious shapes and forms to present themselves on the canvas.
Butterflies, a flock of migrating geese, the vastness and intensity of a mountain range all add to the fragility and beauty of our changing landscapes, juxtaposed with natures great forces, its is this element of tension which is the starting point for the paintings.
Current and forthcoming events
- February - May 2013: VJB Arts - Large Scale Paintings, Corporate Building, London (more info)
Qualifications and training
- 1994 MA Painting, Royal Academy, London
- 1992 BA Painting, Central St Martins, London
- 2007 Three Years Painting in Spain, Culture House, Malaga Spain
- 2011 Drawings: Afternoon Tea, Venice, Biennale, Venice
- 2010 Group Exhibition, Gallery 320, Bethnal Green London
- 2008 Abstract Painters, Cadogan Gallery, London
- 2010 Art & Children, Culture Museum, Competa, Malaga, Spain