My paintings are based on landscapes and the impact of light and colour on what we see. In my work I use the familiar motifs landscape painting and recognisable settings in which to explore the language of painting. I work from memory - exaggerating and romanticising, as with memories, the moment into a dreamlike and filmic reinterpretation of the ordinary.
I work in an intuitive, gestural way influenced by abstract expressionism.
The paintings are acrylic and resin on canvas. The resin saturates the colour and creates a high-gloss, glass-like finish.
The outside world reflects in on the painting's surface and the viewer must move around, look again and look beyond… catching glimpses of a recognisable, ordinary but beautiful world.
The illusion between surface and depth, the delight in colour and the energy of moments of pure experience are what I respond to and try to convey in my paintings.
- 2013 Traces and Trails, Stephanie Hoppen Gallery, London SW3 2HQ
- 2012 Inland Islands, Stephanie Hoppen Gallery, London
- 2011 New Paintings, Stephanie Hoppen Gallery, Walton Street, London
- 2012 Summer Exhibition, Royal Academy, London
Competitions, prizes and awards
- 2012 National Open Art Competition, Minerva Theatre and Prince's Foundation, Chichester and London
- 2012 BEEP Wales' Contemporary Painting Prize, Elysium, Swansea Wales
- 2011 The Threadneedle Prize, Mall Galleries, London
- 2010 National Open Art Competition, Chichester, UK
- 2009 The Threadneedle Prize, Mall Galleries, London