My practice is concerned with time, process and the meaning acquired by objects and materials.Influenced by minimalist movements of the 60s and 70s, the works disrupt the narrative connotations acquired by symbols, objects and spaces.
Motifs are informed by architecture, design, comic books and film title sequences by artists such as Saul Bass. Narrative references are oblique and subject to multiple interpretations. Automatic processes are central to the work. The motifs are built up over time in oil paint. Colour, tone and surface are altered and adjusted. The history of the painting is evident in the traces of sanded down or painted over motifs. The final effect is one of oscillation between image and object, figure and ground.
Qualifications and training
- 2007 MA Fine Art, Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design, London
- 2000 BA Fine Art, National College of Art and Design, Dublin, Ireland
- 2012 Cut it Out, A-side B-side Gallery, London
- 2012 What's time got to do with it?, Core @ nolias gallery, London
- 2010 ASC Open Studios, ASC Studios, Erlang House, London
- 2010 1000 Years of Fear, Ve.sh gallery, Vienna
- 2007 Movement Material, Pebbledash Gallery, London
- 2013 Rupture, A-side B-side Gallery, London
- 2008 Artist in residence, Krems, AIR Krems, Krems, Austria
- 2006 The Room, Kilkenny Cat Laughs Comedy Festival, Kilkenny, Ireland