Making work is a means of understanding the ideas that captivate my thoughts.
Through experimentation, play and study these ideas begin to find a form and make sense.
I enjoy tracing a line of thought through different mediums, interested to see how the expression of it takes shape in both two and three dimensional form.
Each medium has something special about it. With drawing I can dream onto the page, jotting down and exploring ideas, studying the forms of something and trying to understand it. I like how the marks seek out that understanding, trying to work out the connection between a physical form in the world, and my relationship to it. With both drawing and painting you can create things that could never exist in real life, defying scale, gravity and formal relationships. Making sculpture is different; I love how physical it is. Through painting I can loosen my grip on reality, but sculpture forces me to consider the gravity of the problem. I wrestle an idea into existence, physically manipulating materials, to give an idea form, or realise it from an existing drawing.
Over time an interesting dialogue begins to develop across the different dimensions and mediums. Paintings often trigger an idea for a new sculpture and the sculptural work acts as a starting point for new drawings and paintings. Each medium feeds the others and develops my visual language.
Qualifications and training
- 2009 BA Drawing and Painting, Edinburgh College of Art, Scotland
- 2006 Drawing and Painting, St Oswalds School of Painting, London
- 2012 Space Invader, Goat Major Projects, Cardiff
- 2011 Edge of the World, Koukan Gallery, London
- 2011 Void, PM Gallery & House, London
- 2012 System of Objects, The Departure Foundation, London
- 2012 At Play 4, OVADA, Oxford
- 2012 Boeing Way to Gas Street, Gas Street, Birmingham
- 2012 Chelsea Art Fair, Chelsea Old Town Hall, London
- 2011 All is not Lost, Cafe Gallery, London
- 2010 Variant Space, Grosvenor Gallery, London
- 2010 Create Master Inspire, Menier Gallery, London
- 2010 Space Voyager, The Art Academy, London
- 2010 Flat 51 - The Market Estate Project, Market Estate, London
- 2009 Klang, 7/3, Edinburgh
- 2012 Space Invader in discussion with Emma Price, Goat Major Projects, Cardiff