Stanza is an internationally recognised artist, who has been exhibiting worldwide since 1984. His artworks have won prestigious painting prizes and ten first prize art awards including:- Vidalife 6.0 First Prize. SeNef Grand Prix. Videobrasil First Prize. Stanza's art has also been rewarded with a prestigious Nesta Dreamtime Award, an Arts Humanities Creative Fellowship and a Clarks bursary award.
His artworks have been exhibited globally with over fifty exhibitions in the last five years including:- Venice Biennale: Victoria Albert Museum: Tate Britain: Mundo Urbano Madrid: New Forest Pavilion Artsway: State Museum, Novorsibirsk. Biennale of Sydney, Museo Tamayo Arte Contemporáneo Mexico: Plymouth Arts Centre: ICA London: Sao Paulo Biennale:
His mediums include; painting, video, prints, generative artworks and installations. Stanza is an expert in arts technology, CCTV, online networks, touch screens, environmental sensors, and interactive artworks. Recurring themes throughout his career include, the urban landscape, surveillance culture and alienation in the city.
Educated in fine art at Goldsmiths College in the early eighties he later went on to study at Greenwich University and Central Saint Martins Art College London. Stanza returned to Goldsmiths College as a AHRC arts research fellow. He is a pioneer of net art and was one of the first to use internet art as a medium. His websites and net specific artworks have been online since 1995. In the last ten years these online projects have received over four million visitors.
Stanza creates visual artworks informed by critical analysis of city spaces.
Stanza researches data within cities and how this can be represented, visualized and interpreted as artworks. Data from security tracking, traffic, and environmental monitoring can has been used to make artworks. These investigations have created new ways of comparing, conceptualizing and then visualizing complex concepts related to the relationship of emergent data and real space in the built environment.
Stanza has made a series of modular artworks that express the possibilities for our data-mediated future. There are three strands to his working process; this involves collecting the data, visualizing the data, and then displaying the data. The outputs from the online interfaces and online visualizations have been realized as real time dynamic artworks as diverse as installations, and real objects, made out of new display materials re-located back in physical space.
In all his artwork he tries to exploit the changing dynamics of city life as a source for creativity to create meaningful artistic metaphors. Stanza utilizes new technologies and integrates new media artworks into the public domain as part of this ongoing research into the visualization of city space. In essence he is researching data as a medium for creativity and how new experiences of our cities may result.
His work has focused on new technologies and their relationship to urban space. In recent years he has spent time researching sensors, motes, CCTV, display technologies and interactive architectures. The body of work, 'The Emergent City' incorporates investigations into movements of people, the pollution in the air, the vibrations and sounds of city spaces. The archives of this data are controlled via bespoke online interfaces which have been re-formed and recounted into real time experiences, making emergent artworks.
By investigating these data structures Stanza creates new metaphors relevant to the experience of the city and the environment. The patterns we make, the visual and imaginative interpretations we give to real world events, are already being networked into retrievable data structures that can be re-imagined and source for information. These patterns disclose new ways of seeing the world. The value of gathering and re-presenting this data in artistic form, and then analyzing its impact and influence, lies in making meaning accessible to a wider audience.
'The Emergent City' has become a series of works that are affecting and effecting incorporating unique patterns that move around as you move around that are based on your data.
La Biennale di Venezia ie Venice Biennale: Victoria Albert Museum: Tate Britain: Mundo Urbano Madrid: New Forest Pavilion Artsway: State Museum, Novorsibirsk Exhibition. Biennale of Sydney, The Brisbane Room: Museo Tamayo Arte Contemporáneo Mexico: Plymouth Arts Centre: ICA London: Sao Paulo Biennale:
AHRC Creative fellowship 2006 - 2009:
NESTA Dreamtime Award 2004:
Clark Digital Bursary 2003:
Arts Council award for Soundtoys project 2003:
D.T.I. Innovation Award 1997:
Stanza has won first prize awards at these art festivals internationally.
AOF Nova Prize Norway 2010:
Videoformes Multimedia First prize France: 2005
Art In Motion V. First prize USA: 2004
Vidalife 6.0 first prize: 2003
Fififestival Grand Prize France 2003
New Voices Competition winner of the at Digifest:2003
New Forms Net Art First Prize Canada: 2003
Fluxus Online first prize Brasi: 2002
SeNef Online Grand Prix Korea: 2002
Links first prize Portugal: 2001
Videobrasil first prize Brasil 2001
Cynet Art first prize Germany: 2000
Wolfsen 25 Painting first prize UK: 1991
- 2010 City of Dreams, Lanterhouse International., Ulverston
- 2010 Park:, Towneley Park, Burnley AND festival. 2010
- 2008 Visitors To A Gallery, Plymouth Arts Centre, Plymouth UK
- 2005 You Are My Subjects, HTTP Gallery, London.
- 2004 Active Interiors: 10 Years of Interactive Art, Los Angeles, Los Angeles
- 2004 Soundtoys ICA London., ICA ., London.
- 2002 The Central City: Retrospective, Museo Tamayo Arte Contemporáneo, Mexico 2002.
- 1999 Reflexive:, Candid Gallery, London.
- 1992 Techno Primative: Paintings., Wolfson College, Oxford.
- 2011 Sense and the City., Transport Museum London, London
- 2011 Decode show, V & A Museum, London
- 2010 Sensity, Future Places, Porto
- 2010 Map Marking, Pace digital gallery, New York USA
- 2010 Urbam Generation, Mediamatic, Netherlands., Netherlands.
- 2007 Inner City, Venice Biennale, Italy
- 2007 Digitally Yours, Turku, Finland 2007
- 2007 Central City., The Danish Architecture Centre,, Denmark
- 2000 Soundtoys, www.soundtoys.net, www.soundtoys.net
- 2000 Soundcities, www.soundcities.com, www.soundcities.com
- 2011 Guest Speaker, Victoria And Albert Museum, London.
- 2011 Panel Speaker for Article 12, Barbican Centre ., London.
- 2010 Future Places., Invited Speaker, Portugal.
- 2010 Invited Speaker., Tek Metamorf Trondheim., Norway
- 2010 Paying Attention Conference., Invited Speaker., Sweden
- 2009 Sound Ecologies., City University, London.
- 2010 Capacities 2010., Lanternhouse International, Ulverston
- 2010 City of dreams residency, Lanternhouse city of dreams, Lanternhouse
- 2009 Digital residency, Folly, 2009.
- 2004 Artists Links, Shanghai, China
Competitions, prizes and awards
- 2011 Digital Turku, Grand Prix, Finland:
- 2010 AOF Nova First Prize, Trondheim, Norway
- 2006 AHRC Creative fellowship 2006 - 2009, Goldsmiths College, London
- 2005 Videoformes Videoformes First Prize, Multimedia, France:
- 2004 Art In Motion V. First Prize, LA, USA
- 2004 NESTA Dreamtime Award, NESTA Dreamtime Award, London
- 2003 New Voices Competition Winner, Digifest: Canada, Digifest: Canada
- 2003 Fififestival Grand Prize, France, France
- 2003 Vidalife 6.0 First Prize, Spain, Spain
- 2001 Videobrasil First Prize, Brasil, Brasil
- 2000 Cynet Art First Prize, Germany:, Germany:
- 2006 AHRC Creative fellowship 2006 - 2009, Goldsmiths, London
- 2004 NESTA Dreamtime Award., Studio, London
Web links - gallery/work/projects