My practice draws inspiration from man, nature and our reconnection, and encompasses exploration, experimentation, heritage, sustainability and responses to surroundings and situations. Projects are diverse but the central theme remains.
In 2008 I graduated MA Art as Environment from Manchester Metropolitan University and importantly my work gained clearer definition. Always a passionate gardener and artist these two paths have now started to merge and I am more influenced by food cultivation and sustainability. My current work invites viewers to look differently at food and focus not just on the harvest but the whole growing cycle, the value and inherent beauty of the entire plant. I portray food and its cultivation as the true treasure I believe it is through a variety of juxtapositions, presentations and displays often incorporating classical techniques and found materials.
My recent residency at Tatton Park further focused my work. I experimented with actual growing plants, to create artworks, and plant imagery as design inspiration. Wherever possible I initially draw from life, at life size, before creating pieces using this imagery. Really looking at the plants and then drawing what I actually see and not what my mind's eye thinks it sees has informed my work and given it deeper meaning. I combine imagery with word play and have received feedback that in addition to its aesthetic qualities my work is accessible and has educational elements.
My work manifests as site responsive / site specific installations, paintings, drawings, photography, mixed media, research and workshops and I am currently also working on creating bespoke fabric and wallpaper designs. I have been steadily building my professional practice over recent years and have taken part in many projects. Enjoying a mixture of solo and collaborative working, with other artists, diverse organisations and groups, I am also well versed in public and private funding initiatives and commissions.
Qualifications and training
- 2008 MA Art as Environment, Manchester Metropolitan University, Manchester
- 2011 CULTIVATE AND CELEBRATE; Treasures of the Kitchen Garden, Kirkby Gallery - StARTspace, Kirkby, Merseyside
- 2010 CULTIVATE AND CELEBRATE: Treasures of the Kitchen Garden, Tatton Park, Knutsford, Cheshire
- 2013 Creative Whispers, MadLab, Manchester
- 2011 SHROPSHIRE BUTTERFLIES, Dudmaston Hall, Shropshire
- 2008 CReATE: Artists and their pallets, Gallery Oldham, Greater Manchester
- 2007 CUBICLISM: site responsive exhibition - 4 artists, Victoria Baths, Manchester
- 2007 THE BIG DRAW: artist led creation of giant waterways themed mural, The Waterways Trust, Ellesmere Port Boat Museum
- 2009 Artist in residence May 2009 to May 2010, Tatton Park, Knutsford, Cheshire
- 2012 Sculpture for RHS Tatton Flower Show, Tatton Park, Knutsford, Cheshire
- 2012 Lewis Carroll Centre, All Saints' Church, Daresbury, Cheshire
- 2010 Lewis Carroll Birthplace site: permanent sculptural installation - metalwork, National Trust, Daresbury, Cheshire
- 2009 The Settlement - design & workshops for Arts & learning Centre, The Settlement, Maryport, Cumbria
- 2009 Toile Tal: bespoke Storytelling wallpaper and fabric plus interior schemes, The Settlement Arts & Learning Centre, Maryport, Cumbria
- 2008 Floating Garden for Cheshrie Year of Gardens, The Waterways Trust, Ellesmere Port Boat Musuem
- 2005 THE LAKE GATE - metalwork entrance gateway with disabled access, Pickmere Parish Council, Pickmere, Cheshire
- 2011 Lewis Carroll Centre and Birthplace: Installations, designs and related projects, All Saints Church + The National Trust, Daresbury, Cheshire
- 2009 ‘BREATHING PLACES’ (BBC/Big Lottery): design of Churchyard garden extension and bespoke wooden bench, All Saints' Church, Daresbury, Cheshire
Competitions, prizes and awards
- 2010 Tatton Park Biennial - shortlisted, Tatton Park, Cheshire
- 2005 THE ROYAL MINT - Short listed - competition to design the reverse of six coins of the realm, The Royal Mint, London
- 2004 COWPARADE: designs handpainted onto two lifesize fibreglass cows for public art exhibition + design for porcelain miniature, Cowparade, Manchester
- 2012 Diamond Jubilee Archway, Knutsford Library, Knutsford, Cheshire
- 2008 Look Sea: celebratory installation for Liverpool Capital of Culture, Liverpool Parish Church, Liverpool
- 2007 ....broad seas.... installation to celebrate 175th anniversary of Lewis Carroll's birth - artwork recycled after use, All Saints' Church, Daresbury, Cheshire
- 2011 Butterflies of Shropshire: illustrations for art & poetry anthology