In making visual equivalents for the elusive experience of silent watching, I appropriate lines from the outside world in opposition to myself and in this way consider the complex relationship between the external landscape and an inner felt world. I am interested in the interface and enmeshing of different disciplines, science, art, psychology, language and thought, geology. These are huge unwieldy fields, yet I am conscious of their various strands looping in and out of my work.
Drawing on Minimalist ideas of repetition, I scratch, paint or draw onto gesso, paper or canvas. Using a square format to create an undefined space, my choice of palette is about referencing light rather than local colour; and whilst the repetition is governed by underlying structures - such as the shadows cast by the arc of the sun, or the growth of lichen - the work is more to do with the experience of looking, than a literal representation.
I think of my work as conflating the tangible with the ephemeral, driven by but resisting our instinctive searching for order within chaos. In the end, my interest and intention is to move from the found line in the landscape to a quiet and contemplative inner world.
Qualifications and training
- 2009 MA Fine Art (distinction), Bath Spa University, Bath
- 2012 Fine Line. Art of Drawing - John Ruskin Prize, Brantwood House, Coniston, Cumbria
- 2012 DRAWING MMX2, Howard Gardens Gallery, Cardiff
- 2011 106th Summer Exibition, Victoria Art Gallery, Bath
- 2011 Digital Format Group Exhibition, Great Ormond Street Hospital, London
- 2011 Studio 17 Spring Show, Motorcade/Flashparade, Bristol (more info)
- 2010 158th Autumn Exhibition, Royal West of England Academy, Bristol
- 2010 A Population of Rabbits, Arlington Arts Centre, Newbury (more info)
- 2010 Here Today, Gone Tomorrow, Fringe Arts Bath, Bath
- 2009 Drawn In, Sidcot Arts Centre, Avon
- 2008 103rd Bath Society of Artists Exhibition, Victoria Art Gallery, Bath
- 2007 155th Autumn Exhibition, Royal West of England Academy, Bristol
Competitions, prizes and awards
- 2012 The John Ruskin Prize (shortlisted) "Fine Line. Art of Drawing", Brantwood, Cumbria
- 2010 Black Swan Open Arts Competition, Black Swan Arts, Frome, Somerset
- 2003 Bristol Decorative and Fine Art Society Student Award, Bristol Decorative and Fine Art Society, Bristol
- 2010 Passing time, Black Swan Arts, Frome (more info)
- 2009 Work gifted by Bath Spa University to, Xi'an Academy of Fine Arts, China